https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/16895-unable_to_open_cliparts_directly_from_coreldraw.html

Unable to open Cliparts directly from CorelDraw
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Dec 23, 2003

I´m working with Windows XP Professional and Corel Draw 8 or 11.
In both cases I´m not able to open any clipart from the original Corel clipart CD by selecting "Open" or "Import" from the file menu in the program. I get a message, that the format of the clipart is not supported. However, I´m even not able to browse into the clipart folders with these programms, thet show only the content of the folder "Clipart" on the CD. Trying to select any category does not work.
This is not a
... See more
I´m working with Windows XP Professional and Corel Draw 8 or 11.
In both cases I´m not able to open any clipart from the original Corel clipart CD by selecting "Open" or "Import" from the file menu in the program. I get a message, that the format of the clipart is not supported. However, I´m even not able to browse into the clipart folders with these programms, thet show only the content of the folder "Clipart" on the CD. Trying to select any category does not work.
This is not a hardware issue, as my both CD drives and even a network CD drive are affected. On the other PC, running Windows 2000 there is no problem with opening or importing cliparts from the same CD.
Both Corel applications on my PC are able to import images and other files, when they are on other CDs.
When I copy the part of the affected CD to HDD, I´m then able to open/import the files from the HDD.
And I´m able to open any file from the affected CD by double clicking on it.

I do not understand what is wrong. It seems, as an application would be blocking Corel Draw from accessing the cliparts on the CD.

Someone out there who can help me?

Thank you in advance
Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
First thing to check Dec 23, 2003

Hi Jerzy
Are you sure that the files you want to import are not in .cmx format (instead of usual .cdr)?
Some of the cd-s I have from Corel use .cmx, and there is a checkbox to tick during the installation of the software. If .cmx is not supported, well, this is not surprising that you can't open these files.
Florence

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They are .cdr Dec 23, 2003

And the very strange on this issue is, that I´m unable to open those files ONLY from the CD, when I choose the "Open" or "Import" menu from the "File" menu in Corel Draw itself.
When I start an explorer and double click on any file on this CD (and I can browse this CD with Windows Explorer or other explorer), Corel Draw starts and opens the file with no problem at all.

When I copy the files from the CD to my HDD, then I´m able to open them directly from the open file dialog
... See more
And the very strange on this issue is, that I´m unable to open those files ONLY from the CD, when I choose the "Open" or "Import" menu from the "File" menu in Corel Draw itself.
When I start an explorer and double click on any file on this CD (and I can browse this CD with Windows Explorer or other explorer), Corel Draw starts and opens the file with no problem at all.

When I copy the files from the CD to my HDD, then I´m able to open them directly from the open file dialog in Corel Draw.

It seems, that something is blocking the CD access after inserting this particular clipart CD from Corel. I suppose this must be a Corel issue, connected to their Media Folder Indexer or similar.

Most probably I will uninstall all Corel applications and install them again.
HTH

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Install it again Dec 23, 2003

... is probably the best thing to do indeed.
I'm at a loss to tell you what's happening if it's about .cdr files.
Maybe something with a firewall, or yes, with the media indexer. I personally have once installed this feature, but I remember removing it right away though I can't remember what the problem was, it was several years ago.
Florence

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open Cliparts directly from CorelDraw

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »