Thread poster: Luis José Quirindongo

Luis José Quirindongo  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 01:31
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 1, 2004

Hello to everyone. A client asked me to figure out how to do this but I'm pretty lost myself, so I'm asking you.
I need to enable a Western PC to work with a machine translator that translates into Chinese, Japanese or Korean. Basically what the client wants is that when you push the machine translator's button in MS Word that translates into Chinese, the machine will actually translate into Chinese. So far nothing's happening.

The PC has Office XP (US version), and Windows XP. The machine translator is Transtar (at the moment, we will probably substitute it if we stay stuck).

I've heard that you need a special IME (not Microsoft's) to do this, and that files need to be saved as Unicode. I have not figured out how to do any of that. Any help?

Please describe the process with details if you've done it before.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 07:31
English to German
+ ...
chinese/japanese / Asian complex fonts on western PC Jan 1, 2004

Luis Jose Quirindongo wrote:

Hello to everyone. A client asked me to figure out how to do this but I'm pretty lost myself, so I'm asking you.
I need to enable a Western PC to work with a machine translator that translates into Chinese, Japanese or Korean. Basically what the client wants is that when you push the machine translator's button in MS Word that translates into Chinese, the machine will actually translate into Chinese. So far nothing's happening.

The PC has Office XP (US version), and Windows XP. The machine translator is Transtar (at the moment, we will probably substitute it if we stay stuck).

I've heard that you need a special IME (not Microsoft's) to do this, and that files need to be saved as Unicode. I have not figured out how to do any of that. Any help?

Please describe the process with details if you've done it before.
Hi!
Here is a functioning solution. I assume that you use Windows with western fontsystem, if you don´t reinstall windows with support for asian languages, same counts for the office package. Then you must get the keyboard layout diagram for chinese or japanese, rest is exercise and easy. But this is limited to your pc only. Now when you translate and ship the translation to a client, you have to send also a set of these fonts used to your client, such that he can actually see and make use of your translation. Remember but, you cannot integrate these fonts if you are doing Weblocalization work. There are other steps to follow, achieving this performance. You will need a Webfont-embedding engine. But that is a differnt question.

Puerto Rico
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do I really need a CJK enabling suite? Jan 2, 2004

Thanks brandis! I did what you told me and made some progress, at least I did input some Chinese (manually) into Word, Excel and other Office applications. To be honest, I don't know what it said. I suppose the client will find someone who does know once I get things working. I am only in charge of setting up the localizing system.
There's still a problem with the machine translator, though. It still does not translate when the Translate button is pressed. I think the reason is that I don't have the international version, but the Chinese version (I received an error message during instalaltion but selected "Ignore").
However, both the Chinese and international versions of the program tell me that I need a special Input Method Editor or Chinese enabling suite to use them, like TwinBridge, Chinese Star, etc. Is this true?? If so, could you recommend a good one for CJK?
Also, where do I find a font embedding engine? The client told me that they plan to do a lot of website translation with this, so I will probably need it. Should the charset tags on the pages be changed?

Again, thanks to everyone for your help,

LQ

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
font embedding engine Jan 2, 2004

Thanks brandis! I did what you told me and made some progress, at least I did input some Chinese (manually) into Word, Excel and other Office applications. To be honest, I don't know what it said. I suppose the client will find someone who does know once I get things working. I am only in charge of setting up the localizing system.
There's still a problem with the machine translator, though. It still does not translate when the Translate button is pressed. I think the reason is that I don't have the international version, but the Chinese version (I received an error message during instalaltion but selected "Ignore").
However, both the Chinese and international versions of the program tell me that I need a special Input Method Editor or Chinese enabling suite to use them, like TwinBridge, Chinese Star, etc. Is this true?? If so, could you recommend a good one for CJK?
Also, where do I find a font embedding engine? The client told me that they plan to do a lot of website translation with this, so I will probably need it. Should the charset tags on the pages be changed?

LQ
Hi! the idea is simple. you copy all the chinese or the required japanese fonts into a windows folder called fonts, and the fonts will be available in all applications( addtionally you must also activate the support for asian fonts during the installation fo windows and office applications) But this method is only effective locally. If you wish to do website localization, you may need to get access to the individual frames of a full site of your client and process them locally. Direct online translationmethod is from cost and work aspect not effective. It is not adv. to work on a running site. A font embedding engine is infact a font design system. Since you are not designing a new font to embed, it would be confusing. Then the idea is processing the website frames and transferring to client´s domain, leave him the linking work, would put you out of risk, because he may have to take care of the required font system, generally Unicode goes.
I hope that helps
Brandis

Puerto Rico
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another question... Jan 3, 2004

Suppose I save the pages in Chinese encoded as Unicode and upload them to the site. If a user downloaded Microsoft's IME, let's say, would he/she be able to see the text?
Or would they need to install the specific font that the page is in?? I've noticed that my browser only displays pages in Chinese where the font tag matches a font that I have installed.
I did find some good Chinese fonts and added them to the Fonts folder, after that i did manage to display the text. I am wondering if the client could do it this way, if we give them a self-extracting EXE that extracts immediately to Windows\fonts.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
font engine Jan 3, 2004

Suppose I save the pages in Chinese encoded as Unicode and upload them to the site. If a user downloaded Microsoft's IME, let's say, would he/she be able to see the text?
Or would they need to install the specific font that the page is in?? I've noticed that my browser only displays pages in Chinese where the font tag matches a font that I have installed.
I did find some good Chinese fonts and added them to the Fonts folder, after that i did manage to display the text. I am wondering if the client could do it this way, if we give them a self-extracting EXE that extracts immediately to Windowsfonts.
Hi! now you can generate a .pdf embedding all the fonts you have used, so that the client does not get confused. This is one solution. Oh yes, regarding Unicode and IME, that local machine whichever it is would still be needing the fonts to be loaded in the fonts folder. Regarding the Webfontembedding engine, Adobe used to have something like this, they had issued one with pageMkaer 5.0 version. similarly various Fontvendors would have their version. That is a place to try.
Good luck and save the world

Puerto Rico
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 3, 2004

I did try Adobe and their font embedder seems to work fine, so I think they can use this.
Thank you!!
Luis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
try this from Microsoft I think Jan 31, 2004

LQ
There is a programm called WEFT - Web font Embedding engine. I have tried it. It works like a child´s play.
Gruss Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inputting Chinese on a Western PC (?)

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs