Mobile menu

show/hide button (Deactivating the display of non-printable characters in Word)
Thread poster: Céline Graciet

Céline Graciet
Local time: 07:35
English to French
Jan 7, 2004

Hi all,

I've got a tiny problem but it's driving me mad. I don't like all the tabs, returns etc showing when I translate using Trados. Today, every time I close a unit, the show/hide button gets activated, I press it to hide all the characters and the next time I close a unit, it happens again. How can I make sure they're always hidden?

Would kicking the computer help? I've tried screaming at it, to no avail.

Thanks!

Céline

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:35
English to German
+ ...
I would not recommend hiding non-printables Jan 7, 2004

...since Trados TU delimiters are also hidden this way. It's definitely impossible to hide them when the TU is open - after closing it, you risk damaging segments unless you see exactly what you're doing.

My 2 cents'...
Ralf

Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
cheers Jan 7, 2004

so that's what they're called, thanks Ralf. However, I can see all the delimiters and Trados thingies anyway, as I work with the hidden text showing, it's all the little tabs and dots and arrows I don't want to see (and which the show/hide button gets rid of).

Or am I missing something?...

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...since Trados TU delimiters are also hidden this way. It's definitely impossible to hide them when the TU is open - after closing it, you risk damaging segments unless you see exactly what you're doing.

My 2 cents'...
Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:35
English to German
+ ...
Tools - Options - View Jan 7, 2004

so that's what they're called, thanks Ralf. However, I can see all the delimiters and Trados thingies anyway, as I work with the hidden text showing, it's all the little tabs and dots and arrows I don't want to see (and which the show/hide button gets rid of).

The button is a "catch-all" - essentially, it switches the "All" checkbox in Tools - Options - View: Formatting on and off. If you want to get rid of specific characters, set the checkboxes in that section accordingly.
(You did not specify which Word version you're using - my hints are based on the German version of Word 2002 (XP).)

HTH, Ralf

Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Jan 7, 2004

I can't thank you enough Ralf. You've made the rest of my afternoon a whole lot easier.

Take care,

Céline

Ralf Lemster wrote:

The button is a "catch-all" - essentially, it switches the "All" checkbox in Tools - Options - View: Formatting on and off. If you want to get rid of specific characters, set the checkboxes in that section accordingly.
(You did not specify which Word version you're using - my hints are based on the German version of Word 2002 (XP).)

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

show/hide button (Deactivating the display of non-printable characters in Word)

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs