Is it possible to learn MYSQL using online tutorials and books?
Thread poster: Roomy Naqvy

Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:25
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 21, 2004

Dear All,
inluding the more technically proficient ones,

Is it possible for me to learn MYSQL using online tutorials, and some books? And how many hours of study would it normally require?

Roomy Naqvy
India

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:55
English to German
+ ...
Difficult to say Jan 21, 2004

It is really difficult to say how long you will need to learn MySQL, as it depends on your previous knowledge about databases.

I was "forced" to learn how to handle MySQL when I learned to use PHP. I had one book that was mainly about PHP, but it had two chapters that dealt with MySQL (or SQL and how to connect to databases in general).

All the further things I needed to know was either in some tutorial on the internet, or - and this is my favourite, although not very structured - in the MySQL manual (which can be found online).

IMHO, there's no witchcraft needed to learn MySQL. It all depends on yourself.

Since I am a person that tends "to play around" with things before learning to use it properly, I never bother too much about how difficult something is, or how much time is needed to learn it.

Before you start reading any fancy manual, decide for yourself why you want to learn it and how deep you want to delve into the world of MySQL.

HTH,

Sonja

[Edited at 2004-01-21 19:25]

India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 21, 2004

Sonja, thx...
I should be following your path-- Php and Mysql. I need to learn it to upload my own database online and would like to query it. I have spent lots of time looking for programmers to help me and I seem to have got tired waiting for N number of people... who can't do anything much. Best to get a pretty deep hang of the subject and then see how it goes.

I'll seriously be happy, personally as well as professionally, if you were able to help/coordinate in some way.

Roomy

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:55
SITE FOUNDER
Necessity is the mother of invention Jan 21, 2004

I suggest that you begin with the idea of what you want to do with your site, and only then concentrate on learning what you need to learn about php and MySQL to accomplish that. The online resources (mysql.com, php.net) are more than adequate--the user commentary added to the documentation is particularly useful--but if like me you prefer paper, there are probably books at your local store (let me know if there are not and I can send you one of mine.)

php and MySQL are the type of thing that with some concentration, can be used to accomplish a specific purpose (ex. showing the time, storing some info) even within a few days. Really becoming proficient could take a few years, if that is an objective of yours.

Miquel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
It all depends on your needs Jan 21, 2004

Hi Roomy,

"I need to learn it to upload my own database online and would like to query it"

Could you explain a bit more what you intend to do and how?
I assume your hosting service provides PHP-MySql and I guess you'll want to be able to create/input/query your db without writing the code yourself, maybe through a web interface.
There are a lot of scripts that can do the job with a minimal knowledge and a little help. Have a look to www.hotscripts.com under PHP/DB management.

Miquel

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, but you need practice too. Jan 22, 2004

Roomy Naqvy wrote:
Is it possible for me to learn MYSQL using online tutorials, and some books?

Yes, certainly. But you also need practice, and practice can only be got[ten] from a real, life MySQL installation. In my experience, most of the cheap domain hosting resellers only offer a single MySQL database per account (if at all) and only they can reset it if you mess things up (and messing things up is exactly what you want to do, because that's the way you learn).

So your problem is not finding a good MySQL tutorial, but finding a host (or a friend who owns a host) that offers "unlimited" MySQL databases.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What do you want to achieve? Jan 22, 2004

Hello Roomy,

I agree with what Henry and the others said on this subject.
At first, you should concentrate on what YOU want to achieve with PHP and MySQL.

If you just want to enter data in MySQL and query it afterwards, you may want to take a look at http://www.phpmyadmin.net/.

This tool was made to facilitate the management of MySQL databases. Mainly this is a GUI that enables you to perform the most basic (and more advanced) commands to setup/manage/query your databases.

My provider, for instance, offers PhpMyAdmin by default. You should ask your provider whether they offer it too.

You can use this tool at the beginning to setup databases, to enter and view data. You are also able to enter any SQL commands/queries directly.

Regards,

Sonja

India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
something got clear Jan 22, 2004

Samuel, thanks. But also Sonja and Henry. I might have few queries... layman like. So, you mean, Samuel, I should look for a webhost that allows unlimited mysql databases. Where does one find such a host? look at www.godaddy.com, they offer 1 and for costliest hosting, 10. Look at www.powweb.com, they dont specify how many...

Roomy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to learn MYSQL using online tutorials and books?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs