How to reformat HD on used computer you can't access without a password? :-)
Thread poster: Trudy Peters

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:54
German to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2004

That's the problem in a nutshell.

A friend of mine has a computer that was thrown out by a company. It still has the user ID and the domain name on it, but of course he doesn't have the password. How do you get around this short of taking it to a computer store?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Trudy

Direct link Reply with quote

César Yamandú Sánchez Franco  Identity Verified
Paraguay
English to Spanish
Using DOS Jan 28, 2004

-You can format the HD using DOS.
-If there is a setup password, you must remove the battery

Trudy Peters wrote:

A friend of mine has a computer that was thrown out by a company. It still has the user ID and the domain name on it, but of course he doesn't have the password. How do you get around this short of taking it to a computer store?

Trudy

HymnLau
China
Local time: 02:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
Boot and Setup OS from CDRoom Jan 28, 2004

To boot from CDRoom, you need a CD of OS, such as Windows98, or Windows 2000/xp.

Put the CD into your CDRoom, reboot your computer and press [Delete] entering BIOS Setup interface. (if your computer is a DELL/HP/COMPAQ/..., you shall keep on pressing [F1] or [F4] when you start your PC. Because these computer don't allow user manually operate on BIOS Setup, whether the [Fx] works or not, depends on your luck.) then change CDRoom as the First Boot. Save and Exit BIOS.

Your computer will restart automatically. And follow the instructions to install your Windows.

Note: It's a process very dangerous to your computer. Make sure you can handle it first, otherwise ask for an expert would be better.

Trudy Peters wrote:

Trudy

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Boot from stiffy or CD, or reset BIOS Jan 28, 2004

Trudy Peters wrote:

I suggest taking it to the computer store.

You can try to boot from a stiffy or a CD. The computer may not be configured to boot from a CD or a floppy, and you'd have to set that in the BIOS. I have worked in several BIOSs and they don't all look alike. If the company who owned the computer were really nasty, you'd have a password on the BIOS too, and the way to get around that would be to reset the BIOS manually (by opening the box physically).

So, my advice: get a geek from down the street to quickly format the drive for you.

uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 15:54
Korean to English
+ ...
Remove the password Jan 28, 2004

Yes, you can do that, it's a little bit of work, but ultimately it will take less than reinstalling the whole system. I had a similar problem before, check out this topic.
http://www.proz.com/topic/13057

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:54
Italian to English
+ ...
If they left the userid/password on the machine... Jan 28, 2004

who knows what else is on it. Your best bet is to wipe the machine completely free of everything and reinstall whatever OS you plan to use. That's the ONLY way you can be sure to have a fully functional machine with only your software. It may sound extreme, but with all the virii/problems floating around, I would not blindly take a used machine without a full reload.

R.
==

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everybody! Jan 31, 2004

To the computer store it went! )

xxxBrandis
Local time: 20:54
English to German
+ ...
there is a tool for it Feb 6, 2004

Trudy Peters wrote:

Trudy
Hi! get hold of a tool qpart.exe, with this you can reformat and restore the partition table within min. brandis. it is a freeware.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to reformat HD on used computer you can't access without a password? :-)

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs