Adobe Illustrator and East European languages
Thread poster: valentina bigiarini

valentina bigiarini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:58
German to Italian
+ ...
Jan 30, 2004

Does anyone know how to let illustrator recognize east european languages, like polish and so on ?
The source files are in Word (Office) but copying them into Illustrator we lost most of the accents ! thanks for your help

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Check the font Jan 30, 2004

You should use east european fonts.

HTH,
Wojtek Froelich

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:58
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
At least for Latvian Jan 30, 2004

the only way is to use "Rim" fonts.
(there are about 200 of them, equivalents of recpective Western fonts, but including also characters with diacritical marks.
This is for version 10, I do not remember about 9th, but 8th needed also ATM (Adobe Type Manager) installed.
Uldis

valentina bigiarini wrote:

Does anyone know how to let illustrator recognize east european languages, like polish and so on ?

[Edited at 2004-01-30 18:15]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Unicode vs traditional 256 chars code pages Jan 30, 2004

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

You should use east european fonts.

HTH,
Wojtek Froelich

Mà non è perfetto.

It works in CE Windows versions but...
Working on Western Windows versions, you should save your work as txt (CE script, Word 95 or WordPerfect should do the job) and then paste it in AI from a "honest" text editor like UltraEdit or PFE.
The savvy Notepad will "correct" the "illegal" characters.

GG aka "Zdrówkot"

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Works also on Western versions Jan 30, 2004

Personally I use English Windows XP (Polish version is on the second computer).

One hint: switch to appropriate regional settings (through Control Panel). This will surely help

Regards,
Wojtek Froelich

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Regional settings... happy few... Jan 30, 2004

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Personally I use English Windows XP (Polish version is on the second computer).

One hint: switch to appropriate regional settings (through Control Panel). This will surely help

Regards,
Wojtek Froelich

Semetimes, you can't change the regional settings.
The "256 chars code page" txt scenario works in ev'ry circonstance, I think.
If the appropriate font is available, of korz.
Tested on CE & Cyrillic.

GG aka "Zdrówkot"

xxxcsichello
Local time: 05:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
Clipboard import problem Feb 1, 2004

I'm not sure about Polish, but we had a similiar problem with Asian languages awhile ago, we found that if we tried to copy directly from word that the data wouldn't import correctly. To remedy the problem, we first copied the text into an open notepad window and then re-copied the text in the notepad into Illustrator. I believe that this transformed the text from whatever codeset we were using into Unicode, which is the only codeset that notepad can support, and then when we copied it into Illustrator, it copied as unicode and therefore imported correctly.

A couple of notes, don't create a text box in Illustrator and try to copy into it, you will find yourself continually resetting the font. The best practice for speed is to set the font (which must support the language you are copying) but don't create anything, just have the pointer active in illustrator, then copy the text from notepad and then copy into illustrator, it will then create a text box for you with the proper text inside.

I hope this helps.

-chad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Illustrator and East European languages

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs