Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:55
Catalan to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2004

Hi!

I hope I have chosen the right forum for this question and that it hasn't been discussed already.

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to create the parts per thousand symbol (like a per cent symbol % but with 2 zeros at the bottom). Someone told me that the ASCII code was 0137 and that all I had to do was press ALT and type 0137. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but that does not work for me. I am using a Mac PowerBook G4 with OS 9.1 and Microsoft Word for Mac. My k
... See more
Hi!

I hope I have chosen the right forum for this question and that it hasn't been discussed already.

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to create the parts per thousand symbol (like a per cent symbol % but with 2 zeros at the bottom). Someone told me that the ASCII code was 0137 and that all I had to do was press ALT and type 0137. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but that does not work for me. I am using a Mac PowerBook G4 with OS 9.1 and Microsoft Word for Mac. My keyboard is Spanish - in case that is of any relevance!

Does anyone have any idea how I can create this wee symbol. If you do, I'd be very grateful if you could help me out.

Many thanks in advance!

Sheila
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
‰ ‰ ‰ Feb 2, 2004

Hi Sheila,

I got it in my PC as you described above:

Alt+0137 then return key. ‰ ‰

If it does not work for you, try to copy/paste it into your text.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2004-02-02 12:41]

Rebecca Lowery
Rebecca Lowery  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:55
French to English
Try pressing ALT + SHIFT + E Feb 2, 2004

All at the same time - this works for me if I'm using the Arial font.

The ALT + 0137 is used in Word not on Macs.

I hope it works for you!!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In Word Feb 2, 2004

select "Insert", then choose "Special character" and from the filed that opens select "Normal text" for the font and your character needed.

This is character 228 and in my German Word there is a shortcut "Wahl+Umschalt+E".
This must be the "Select+Shift+E" shortcut, where "Select" the Apple-key should be.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
I just saw the post above.
So the "Select" key is not the Apple one, but the "ALT" kex.
Pressing this shortcut
... See more
select "Insert", then choose "Special character" and from the filed that opens select "Normal text" for the font and your character needed.

This is character 228 and in my German Word there is a shortcut "Wahl+Umschalt+E".
This must be the "Select+Shift+E" shortcut, where "Select" the Apple-key should be.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
So the "Select" key is not the Apple one, but the "ALT" kex.
Pressing this shortcut works just fine for me in Arial and Times.
ALT+0137 is assigned to various Windows codepages.

[Edited at 2004-02-02 12:50]
Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 2, 2004

Thank you all very much for your help!

In the end, I have managed to create the ppt symbol following Jerzy\'s advice. For some reason, I hadn\'t noticed it in the \'Normal text\' symbols. Stupid me!!!

I did try the one you suggested, Rebecca, and I think it would probably work on other keyboards. However, when I press ALT-SHIFT-E on this Spanish keyboard I create the euro symbol!

I\'d better go off and fill my text with parts per thousand symbols:-)
... See more
Thank you all very much for your help!

In the end, I have managed to create the ppt symbol following Jerzy\'s advice. For some reason, I hadn\'t noticed it in the \'Normal text\' symbols. Stupid me!!!

I did try the one you suggested, Rebecca, and I think it would probably work on other keyboards. However, when I press ALT-SHIFT-E on this Spanish keyboard I create the euro symbol!

I\'d better go off and fill my text with parts per thousand symbols:-)

Thanks again!

Sheila

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

select \"Insert\", then choose \"Special character\" and from the filed that opens select \"Normal text\" for the font and your character needed.

This is character 228 and in my German Word there is a shortcut \"Wahl+Umschalt+E\".
This must be the \"Select+Shift+E\" shortcut, where \"Select\" the Apple-key should be.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
So the \"Select\" key is not the Apple one, but the \"ALT\" kex.
Pressing this shortcut works just fine for me in Arial and Times.
ALT+0137 is assigned to various Windows codepages.

[Edited at 2004-02-02 12:50]
Collapse

Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
alt-shift-X Feb 2, 2004

alt-shift-X

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Parts per thousand symbol on a Mac

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »