Free downloadable spellcheck?
Thread poster: xxxAnneM
xxxAnneM  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2004

Hi,
I am working away from home for a couple of days on a computer which doesn't have US/UK spellcheck installed in Word (nor do I have the installation CD)

Does anybody know of a solution? (apart from sending my texts to a friend who is "tired" of me!)

Thanks,

Anne

Direct link Reply with quote

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Online spellchecking Feb 17, 2004

I assume you have internet connection, so might I suggest: http://www.spellonline.com/

You can copy and paste your text there and then it spellchecks for you. I just tested it for 2 pages and it seems to work fine. Not sure if it works for really long texts, but this might be a good interim solution (saves you from having to download/install something).

Good luck!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Useful Usenet link Feb 17, 2004

AnneM wrote:
I am working away from home for a couple of days on a computer which doesn't have US/UK spellcheck installed in Word (nor do I have the installation CD).

Google using Google Groups for the answers to a similar post of mine some time ago. Some of the answers are interesting.

Subject line: Free spell checker needed
Newsgroup: sci.lang.translation

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 03:38
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Another online spell-checking tool Feb 17, 2004

Spellink

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
http://spellcheck.freeurl.com/ Feb 17, 2004

This one is the biggest I could find after a couple of checks, with a nice presentation. Spellckecker does 1500 characters less.

How unobliging of the "tired" friend!

The one proposed above seems to do larger texts:

http://www.spellonline.com/cgi-bin/spell_1.pl

Does anybody know of a solution? (apart from sending my texts to a friend who is "tired" of me!)

[Edited at 2004-02-17 14:49]

xxxAnneM  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2004

Thank you everybody for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free downloadable spellcheck?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs