Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:52
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2004

....and Unicode.

Since Friday, Outlook Express has refused to connect me to my ISP for mail purposes. The ISP says the error message I am getting shows the fault is on my computer, not at their end. I think it may be something to do with a Critical Update from Microsoft.

I got round the problem by downloading Pegasus Mail, which is fine for most purposes, but I have no access to the View menu from it and messages in Cyrillic or Unicode are gibberish.

I know there are webmails that would do it(that of my own ISP for one, and also Mail.ru with whom I have an account), but I would prefer a computer-based system. The only other one of any repute I know of is Eudora, but I don't know anything about it. Would that do the job? Or does anyone know of anything that would?

It doesn't appear to be possible to download Outlook Express on its own, it's too integrated with Internet Explorer. There are various patches one can download, but I may have had these as critical updates anyway. Any advice on this aspect of the problem? I suppose I could send off to Microsoft for IE6 & OE6 on a disk & reinstall, but I am reluctant to do that, and anyway, such problems often persist even after reinstallation.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:52
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
have a look at www.freelang.com Feb 17, 2004

Hi,

I don't know if they have exactly what you are looking for, but they seem to have a lot of fonts and ressources to deal with cyrillics and other. I got some Serbian and Croatian fonts from them. I know that your problem is different but it could help anyway.

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
sorry - the site is in French Feb 17, 2004

and I am not sure that they have English version !
I hope it might be helpful anyway...

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:52
English to Russian
+ ...
www.eudora.com Feb 17, 2004

Mai I recommend this great programm. It is free. I have been using it since 1994 and rest assured I had no problems with cyrillic.

It is just great and very easy in operation.

Oleg Sollogub  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:52
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
It is not related to fonts. The problem is encoding... Feb 18, 2004

nordiste wrote:
I don't know if they have exactly what you are looking for, but they seem to have a lot of fonts and ressources to deal with cyrillics and other. I got some Serbian and Croatian fonts from them.

The problem is not in fonts, it is in encoding. There are several types of encoding used for Cyrillic letters (Windows 1251, DOS, KOI-8R, ISO, Unicode). The most common are Windows-1251 and KOI-8R.
While any Windows mail client (even not supporting Cyrrilics) will display Win-1251 encoding without any problem (provided that you have Russian fonts installed, of course), displaying KOI-8R (and other encodings) requires special provisions, known as "cyrillics support".
In fact, KOI-8R is the most preferable. Without it, you can only read about 20 or 30 percent of mails (only those in Windows encoding).

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Incredimail Feb 18, 2004

Jack,

Did you already try this:

http://www.incredimail.com/english/what.html

Supports Cyrillic as well.

Good luck,

Evert

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the advice Feb 18, 2004

I have visited lots of websites and downloaded and installed two mail handlers - "Becky!" recommended by Nikita Kobrin (in the Russian forum, where I posted a similar topic) and "Eudora" recommended by Sergei Tumanov in this forum.
A test message containing Cyrillic sent by me showed that Becky! and Eudora are both faster than Pegasus. Eudora showed the message in Cyrillic exactly as I had printed it. Becky! showed it in Western European encoding, and a check of its "Multilingual Support" showed it only offers KOI8-R, not Cyrillic Windows (Win-1251).
I ruled out Microsoft Outlook because it costs over $100 as a stand-alone system (it usually comes as part of the later Microsoft Office packages).
Becky! is on approval for a month, after which a license would cost $40.
Eudora is free in a "lite" form which is quite adequate for my purposes. The cost of the full version of this is also $40.
So I think I shall settle on Eudora.
Thanks to Sergei and everyone else for all your advice, comment and information.

P.S. I did once try Incredimail about a year ago but I was put off by all the smilies etc.

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update on non-OE email systems Feb 22, 2004

I have now also installed The Bat!, and with some useful advice from Vladimir Lukaikin, have it running very well.

It and Eudora, in which I have also had useful help, from Sergei Tumanov, are both very good, but they do not support Unicode. A friend of mine using AoL Mail is unable to read my Cyrillic because of this. So I looked around, and the only system I can find with Unicode is TabMail. It is shareware but free as long as you want it, registration costs $19. It is rather a stark program, no fancy features; the download is only 1.14 MB. But my friend can read my Cyrillic sent to him via TabMail. Strange to say, I can't read his in TabMail but can read it in The Bat!.
So I think a combination of The Bat! or Eudora and TabMail will meet all my needs.

For anyone else who thinks TabMail might be useful, it can be downloaded from its home site www.dlg.krakow.pl/tabmail/ and www.topshareware.com/TabMail-download1117.htm - and from others as well (see Google). I found a download attempt from the Krakow site failed, but I got it with no trouble from topshareware.

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Mozilla Thunderbird Feb 23, 2004

Have you tried the standalone Mozilla mailer - Thunderbird?

Latest official release for Win32:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/0.5/thunderbird-0.5-win32.zip

HTH,
Wojtek

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thunderbirds are Go! Feb 23, 2004

Thank you very much, Wojtek.
I downloaded it and have been trying it out. So far it seems pretty good. It also appears to be free. I gather it is some sort of Beta version, so I suppose that's why.
The only thing I don't like about it is the Help files, which are very little help at all. But maybe this too is because it is still under test.
I have just sent a test message to my webmail here at ProZ and the Cyrillic came out as it should, so it looks as if it does use Unicode.
I am having some trouble controlling the font size. It looked all the same size in the compose message window but was not when I viewed it in my webmail here. Have you any advice on this?

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Not using HTML at all... Feb 23, 2004

The only thing I don't like about it is the Help files, which are very little help at all. But maybe this too is because it is still under test.

Hello Jack,

Check http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/

I am having some trouble controlling the font size. It looked all the same size in the compose message window but was not when I viewed it in my webmail here. Have you any advice on this?

I am not using HTML in e-mails. Pure text only, one defined size.

Another great place for Thunderbird is www.mozillazine.com

HTH,
Wojtek Froelich

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bird still thundering Feb 24, 2004

Thank you, Wojtek, for the links, though as it happens, I had already found them myself.
I am persisting with HTML and am managing the fonts better now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need mail handler other than Outlook Express to cope with Cyrillic

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs