Adobe Acrobat Error: Can not edit text in this font
Thread poster: Nat�n V�zquez

Nat�n V�zquez
Mexico
Local time: 16:59
English to Spanish
Mar 4, 2004

Hi:

After working with 3 .pdf documents, i was about to finsh and obviously in the last document I got this message.

Warning: You can not edit text in this font.

Does anyone know what can i do to edit the text?

The others were just like this one and i did not have any troubles and i do not know why.

Can somebody help?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
German to English
+ ...
it means the font is not on your system Mar 4, 2004

Is is possible to embed fonts in PDF documents, in which case text in the document in that font can be edited on a system that does not have the font in question resident. However, for copyright reasonsl many font producers do not not allow their fonts to be embedded in PDF documents, so if you want to edit text in a PDF document set in such a font you must have a copy of the font installed on your computer. You can see which fonts are used in the document by looking under File/Document Properties/Fonts.

If you cannot obtain a copy of the font in question, I'm afraid the message means exactly what it says.

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
font could be embedded as subset Mar 5, 2004

If this file uses the same font as your previous files, it could be that in this file the font has been embedded, but as a subset (i.e. not the whole font), which is ok for viewing and printing the file correctly, but does not allow text editing.

Again, as Kenneth says, this can be checked in the PDF file properties.

If this is the case, and the font is the _same_ as that fully embedded in your previous files, you might want to try a trick (that used to work a couple of versions again - I don't know if it still does):
- Open one of your editable files and select a word as for editing it (no need to edit it really). Make sure you select a word in the same font as the text you cannot edit in the other file.
- Then, with this document still opened and the touch text tool still in the text, open your problem file which now _may_ let you edit its text, since the font information is now in the system's cache.

If it still fails, then you can check what fonts are needed and purchase them and install them in your system (most fonts are readily avaialable for online purchasing).
Or: contact your client to ask either for the fonts needed, or for a version of the PDF with fully-embedded fonts. Better still, ask for the file in its original format (not PDF) - it makes editing all that simpler!

HtH,
Roberta

[Edited at 2004-03-05 07:42]

Nat�n V�zquez
Mexico
Local time: 16:59
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Mar 9, 2004

I just couldnt make it work. Anyway I appreciate your help.

My boss is mad at me but I think it is not really my fault.

Thank you all

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
PDF is _not_ an editing format Mar 9, 2004

Natan Vazquez wrote:
My boss is mad at me but I think it is not really my fault.

It is not your fault at all!!! PDF is _not_ an editing format, it is a format for final delivery, for sharing files and revision, much like printed paper. Unfortunately many people seem to forget this, or simply are not aware of it...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Acrobat Error: Can not edit text in this font

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs