OED2 v 1.10 on Windows XP
Thread poster: Gillian Hargreaves (X)
Gillian Hargreaves (X)
Gillian Hargreaves (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:19
French to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2004

Having just acquired a new computer running Windows XP I attempted to re-install my old OED2 (v 1.10) CD on it. It appeared to install OK but when I tried to run it via Start, All Programs, I got the message:
"An error has occurred in your application.
If you choose Ignore, you should save your work in a new file.
If you choose Close, your application will terminate."

I chose Ignore, which then told me:
"OED caused a General Protection Fault in module OED.EX
... See more
Having just acquired a new computer running Windows XP I attempted to re-install my old OED2 (v 1.10) CD on it. It appeared to install OK but when I tried to run it via Start, All Programs, I got the message:
"An error has occurred in your application.
If you choose Ignore, you should save your work in a new file.
If you choose Close, your application will terminate."

I chose Ignore, which then told me:
"OED caused a General Protection Fault in module OED.EXE at 0006:E8BA.
Choose close, OED will close."

I then tried to launch it from My Computer, CD drive, and then double-click on the only item in the window (called OED2), I got the message
"You are attempting to open a file of type " (DAT)
These files are used by the operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system.
If you still want to open the file, click Open With, otherwise click Cancel."

"Opening with" doesn't really help, because I've no idea what application to choose.

Any ideas?
Collapse

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
old software? Mar 19, 2004

Gillian

I also recently bought a new computer with Windows XP Pro and encountered similar problems when trying to install the software for my scanner and, what now turns out to be, an older version of Adobe Photodeluxe. Prior to this I had already downloaded Adobe Acrobat 6.0, which then stopped functioning after I'd installed Photodeluxe.

I can't offer you any technical advice I'm afraid, but my only guess is that Windows XP is almost *too* advanced to run older softw
... See more
Gillian

I also recently bought a new computer with Windows XP Pro and encountered similar problems when trying to install the software for my scanner and, what now turns out to be, an older version of Adobe Photodeluxe. Prior to this I had already downloaded Adobe Acrobat 6.0, which then stopped functioning after I'd installed Photodeluxe.

I can't offer you any technical advice I'm afraid, but my only guess is that Windows XP is almost *too* advanced to run older software programmes.

Maybe someone can explain why this is (in layman's terms, please!)
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:19
English to French
+ ...
Try the "XP wizard for old programs compliancy" Mar 19, 2004

On the list of XP programs there should be in the Accessories a programm called something like "wizard for old programs compliancy" (I run a French version of XP so I don't know the exact name for this). Anyway, it's an XP facility which enables you to run on old program initially made for Windows 95 or Win 98.
It's usually very useful, but not always.
You can try and have a look at the XP "Help and support menu" for more information.

Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Try this Mar 20, 2004

Right click on the .exe file of the application you wnat to install -> Compatibililty -> check "Run this program in compatibility mode for". Select the version it was running fine on.

At the bottom there would be a link for further information.

All best!

Gillian Hargreaves (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nordiste Mar 22, 2004

FYI, it's called Program Compatibility Wizard in English. It looked promising but unfortunately didn't work.

nordiste wrote:

On the list of XP programs there should be in the Accessories a programm called something like "wizard for old programs compliancy" (I run a French version of XP so I don't know the exact name for this). Anyway, it's an XP facility which enables you to run on old program initially made for Windows 95 or Win 98.
It's usually very useful, but not always.
You can try and have a look at the XP "Help and support menu" for more information.

Gillian Hargreaves (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Rishi Mar 22, 2004

This looked good too, but again it didn't work. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Rishi Miranhshah wrote:

Right click on the .exe file of the application you wnat to install -> Compatibililty -> check "Run this program in compatibility mode for". Select the version it was running fine on.

At the bottom there would be a link for further information.

All best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OED2 v 1.10 on Windows XP

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »