Mobile menu

Can I acquire an MS Word font from a source text?
Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:26
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2004

One of my clients has a wonderful font, i.e. Palatino. I can produce my translations in the same font by overtyping the source text but I wonder whether there is a way for my MS Word programme to 'adopt' this font from the source text. Typically, I bought a CD-rom with a 1000 fonts in the vain hope it would have Palatino, but it didn't. I would not use the font for other clients, but having it myself would make it easier for me to use my CAT-tool for his translations.

[Edited at 2004-03-26 11:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
You need to download this font Mar 26, 2004

Please use the following link:

Download Palatino Font -
... The Palatino font was created in 1949 by Hermann Zapf. The Palatino font
design has roots in a style of Zapf's penmanship. The Palatino ...

www.fonts-free.com/font/palatino.html

ArturSz
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
link Mar 26, 2004

http://fonts.quadratic.net/zipfiles/PALATINO.zip
this file is compressed archive containing inside truetype fonts, under MS windows, you shoud extract it to the -c:\windows\fonts - folder (in most cases)

[Edited at 2004-03-26 16:16]

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way of incorporating it from the source file? Mar 26, 2004

hmmm... Downloading it from the first link would cost 76 dollars (to include the italics, which I need)and via the second link I get a free file that doesn't seem to be recognised as a font when I unzip it... I don't mind paying, actually, but I'll try and find a European site to download it from. I remember reading somewhere it is possible to incorporate fonts in Word if you type in sample text, but maybe I was wrong. Thanks for the responses so far.

Michael Hesselnberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:26
French to German
+ ...
Look at here Mar 26, 2004

[quote]Anne Lee wrote:

I just downloaded it from a German provider for free and Word does recognise the zip file. When you extract the zip.file you must specify "extract to program files".
Here is the link:
http://home.vr-web.de/was/pplx.html
Have a nice day
Michael

xxxOlaf
Local time: 02:26
English to German
Have the vendor embed TrueType fonts in the document Mar 26, 2004

Word has an option to embed Truetype fonts.
Tools > Options > Save > Embed True Type fonts. However, this might not work with all truetype fonts, because some fonts are embed-proteced.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 29, 2004

Embedding the truetype font was useful; I didn't know that option. The downloadable file contained Palatino Linotype which is already one of my fonts but I hadn't realised how close it ressembles Palatino and it will do. Many thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I acquire an MS Word font from a source text?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs