Source file:
Thread poster: Eva Blanar

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 20, 2004

Hi there,
I have some urgent job for tomorrow morning, two MS Word files, both of them "read only". Now, I can work (translate into the file), I can save it, but when I open it again, my new file becomes "read only", too. Do you have some trick for getting rid of this feature?

A little later:
As I am stubborn, I kept trying and I've found a solution (one of the solutions, probably) - if you save the file in rtf format, the "read only" feature gets lost.

But I am open for some more elegant solutions

[Edited at 2004-04-20 18:04]

Direct link Reply with quote

Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:54
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use the Explorer Apr 20, 2004

You can use the Explorer.

Open the explorer (you press the "windows" key and the "E" key at the same time), navigate to the file, right click on its name, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the menu, and uncheck "Read only". That's all. From then on, it will be a -normal- file.

And enjoy your work, as much as I do mine!

Natalie  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Eva Apr 20, 2004

When you are saving your document in Word, choose File > Save (or Save as), and in the window that opens choose TOOLS > Security options and look for a checkbox "Read-only recommended". It should be unchecked.

The names of the above menu options may slightly differ as I have Polish version of MSOffice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source file:

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs