Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 01:59
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 20, 2004

Hi there,
I have some urgent job for tomorrow morning, two MS Word files, both of them "read only". Now, I can work (translate into the file), I can save it, but when I open it again, my new file becomes "read only", too. Do you have some trick for getting rid of this feature?

TIA,
Eva

A little later:
As I am stubborn, I kept trying and I've found a solution (one of the solutions, probably) - if you save the file in rtf format, the "read only"
... See more
Hi there,
I have some urgent job for tomorrow morning, two MS Word files, both of them "read only". Now, I can work (translate into the file), I can save it, but when I open it again, my new file becomes "read only", too. Do you have some trick for getting rid of this feature?

TIA,
Eva

A little later:
As I am stubborn, I kept trying and I've found a solution (one of the solutions, probably) - if you save the file in rtf format, the "read only" feature gets lost.

But I am open for some more elegant solutions

[Edited at 2004-04-20 18:04]
Collapse

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use the Explorer Apr 20, 2004

You can use the Explorer.

Open the explorer (you press the "windows" key and the "E" key at the same time), navigate to the file, right click on its name, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the menu, and uncheck "Read only". That's all. From then on, it will be a -normal- file.

And enjoy your work, as much as I do mine!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:59
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Eva Apr 20, 2004

When you are saving your document in Word, choose File > Save (or Save as), and in the window that opens choose TOOLS > Security options and look for a checkbox "Read-only recommended". It should be unchecked.

The names of the above menu options may slightly differ as I have Polish version of MSOffice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source file:

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »