Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:54
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
May 20, 2004

Good morning

Last week, I completed a project for a CD menu navigation. The client approached me again and asked whether there would be any shortened versions of long words which contain about 25 letters, as they might have difficulty to fit them on the drop down lists.

Is there an option (like "find & replace" and "special") to find the words with the relevant character count without manually going through the document?

Thanks for your advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Bruno Piatti  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:54
English to Italian
words with 25 characters May 20, 2004

Hi Wenke
In Find and Replace (with wildcards characters ON) you can try the following string: ""
(there are 25 question marks).
That way you’ll find the words with 25 characters. You can change the number of ?????? to search other lengths.
Hope this helps.

Sorry, but the string isn't viewable:
the string is:
‘less than’ sign
25 question marks
‘greater than’ sign

Bruno

[Edited at 2004-05-20 08:29]

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:54
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Search for any character of a given length May 20, 2004

Bruno's advice is a good idea, but the best special symbol (wildcard) to use is "^$"
Insert 25 times (or how many times you need) in the search string the sequence "^$" (Find: ^$^$^$^$^$....etc...)

The difference between "^?" and "^$" is that the first would consider the spaces too, while the second would consider only printable characters.

Gianfranco

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:54
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... May 20, 2004

... interesting exercise! Both replies were really helpful but Gianfranco's immediately pointed to the right word(s). So much more efficient than going through the document, spotting a potentially long word, highlighting it and doing a wordcount... Thanks once again for your prompt assistance! Wenke

English to Italian
just to point out... May 20, 2004

Wenke Geddert wrote:

... interesting exercise! Both replies were really helpful but Gianfranco's immediately pointed to the right word(s). So much more efficient than going through the document, spotting a potentially long word, highlighting it and doing a wordcount... Thanks once again for your prompt assistance! Wenke

In my string I inserted the "" characters; that way you search only from the "beginning of word" to "end of word".

Anyway the Gianfranco's solution is really interesting.

Bruno

English to Italian
Moreover... May 20, 2004

Wenke Geddert wrote:

I think that with Gianfranco's solution you'll miss the last word in a sentence (ending with a "full stop", a question mark, a semicolon...)

My "25" cents

Bruno

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word: Finding words with 25 characters & longer

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs