Mobile menu

Off topic: Looking for experienced owner of a digital camera Minolta DiMAGE S-414
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
May 20, 2004

Perhaps someone from you has this camera.
I have got such one yesterday (bought by eBay), but I´m shocked of its power consumption. This is a fully new unit, which come with 4 mignon cells (battery, not rechargeable) - but I was not able even to test it with these batteries, as after switching the camera on it shows "battery empty" almost immediatelly and switches itself off.
With other alkaline batteries it worked a while, but after some 10 pictures they are shown as empty too. However, battery tester says they are OK (those delivered with the camera too).
I tested the camera then with NiMH accus 1600 mAh but still to no avail. After 3-4 pictures or even few mintues with LCD on the camera says "battery empty" and switches itself off.

Have you made similar experiences with such camera type? If yes, was the camera defect or are the accus bad? Which kind of rechargeables and which brand do you use?

Thank you very much for any information.

Kind regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Minolta and other digital cameras May 20, 2004

First of all - normal batteries are no use in any digital camera.
Then - the special NiMh rechargable batteries have to be charged and discharged a few times before they 'really' start working.
SO - do not panic!
I use 1.2V 2000 mah batteries (1600 mah is a bit small) and always carry 6 with me - my camera (Dimage F100) only uses 2 at a time... After not using them for a time they discharge themselves so take 'freshly' charged batteries with you.
My partner uses a (Olympus with 10x zoom) 4-battery camera, and carries 8 batteries around...

Also, the more you use the LCD screen, the menus and the larger the photos you take, the more energy will be consumed.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Power consumption varies enormously between models May 21, 2004

My old HP drew rechargeables after some twenty takes, especially when the lcd-screen was used. But my Canon A70 will last with the same set of 4 AAs for hundreds of hours and at least 200 takes.
Sorry this wont help you with your Minolta much. I bought my Canon after I had studied all consumer tests

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for experienced owner of a digital camera Minolta DiMAGE S-414

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs