Mobile menu

How to edit password protected Word document?
Thread poster: rjbemben
rjbemben  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
German to English
May 24, 2004

My client has provided me with a Word document that is password protected. Unfortunately it's against his company's policy to share passwords, so I can't get an editable Word document. I can't even edit a renamed copy of this document. What is the easiest and cheapest way to do the job?

Do I need to purchase Adobe Acrobat editor to work around this problem? Or is there some way to do this in Trados (I have 6.5 Freelance)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
try this May 24, 2004

I assume you can open it in a read-only mode, right? In other words, the password protects the document against overwrites.
That happened to me a couple of years ago, and to get around it I simply highlighted the entire text and pasted it into a new document. It worked great!

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try to select all+copy+paste it in a new file. May 24, 2004

rjbemben  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! May 24, 2004

Many thanks to CBolton and Chance.
I was ready to buy Adobe Acrobat Editor, so you saved me about a thousand dollars. The text, header, footer and even company logo copied to the new blank document just fine!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to edit password protected Word document?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs