Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

How to search in PDF documents with the Window's Search Tool
Thread poster: Ezequiel Fernandez

Ezequiel Fernandez
Local time: 17:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 12, 2004

Hi !

I use the Windows' search tool quite often to look for a word in an MS Office document, but I can't do it for a word in a PDF document. I wonder if there is any tip/trick to do it successfully. Do I need first to set up again some features in Windows? Thank you !

Direct link Reply with quote

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:00
French to English
+ ...
PDF searching Jul 12, 2004

I'm not sure it's possible with the Windows search tool, but if you're using the latest version of the Adobe Reader (not sure about previous versions), there is a search function for the open PDF file, all PDF files within a specified directory, or simply all PDF files stored on your computer.

Ezequiel Fernandez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll check it out Jul 12, 2004

Thanks your the reply, Jeremy.
Let me put it in other words.

I use the Windows' search function as a way to look for words collectively within a given directory, i.e. aiming at looking for repetitive text in a document. I find it it inconvenient to convert the PFD file into a Word file - as you normally do to edit a PDF file - so I was wondering if there is another more practical method to proceed. Perhaps I'm being a bit clumsy!

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:00
English to Turkish
+ ...
Easy Jul 12, 2004

Just click "Start," then "Search," "for files or folders,"

Then "search files or folders named" *[yourfile].pdf

"Containing text" yourstring

It would find any matches with search criteria (you can even use wildcards) provided that the searched PDF is not an image, but contains editable text.

h.i.h.
Regards,
selçuk

Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
Jeremy's solution is right Jul 12, 2004

Jeremy Smith wrote:

I'm not sure it's possible with the Windows search tool, but if you're using the latest version of the Adobe Reader (not sure about previous versions), there is a search function for the open PDF file, all PDF files within a specified directory, or simply all PDF files stored on your computer.

I always use this function in Adobe Reader. It is most effective and you can check the context of each of the repetitions without having to search each file separately.

Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
You dont' have to Jul 12, 2004

larru wrote:

I find it it inconvenient to convert the PFD file into a Word file - as you normally do to edit a PDF file - so I was wondering if there is another more practical method to proceed. Perhaps I'm being a bit clumsy!

You don't have to convert the PDF files into a Word file to search for a term or a sentence, just open any PDF file you have, and use the search link on the right. Enter the text you want to search for, chose to search in all PDF files and hit Search. You will have a list of all the repetitions of the word, or words, you entered, and you can look them up in their context merely by clicking them in the list.

I hope I made that clear

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:00
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Scanned pages Jul 13, 2004

Just a quick note, this method would only work if a DTPed document (i.e. in MS-Word) is converted into PDF, scanned pages or image files saved as PDF would not allow searching at all.

Tamara Zahran wrote:

larru wrote:

I find it it inconvenient to convert the PFD file into a Word file - as you normally do to edit a PDF file - so I was wondering if there is another more practical method to proceed. Perhaps I'm being a bit clumsy!

You don't have to convert the PDF files into a Word file to search for a term or a sentence, just open any PDF file you have, and use the search link on the right. Enter the text you want to search for, chose to search in all PDF files and hit Search. You will have a list of all the repetitions of the word, or words, you entered, and you can look them up in their context merely by clicking them in the list.

I hope I made that clear

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Paper Capture, to convert scanned text into searchable text Jul 13, 2004

Rahi Moosavi wrote:
scanned pages or image files saved as PDF would not allow searching at all.

Not quite; you can convert scanned pages into "text" pdf contents with Paper Capture (free plug-in for Acrobat 5, standard feature in Acrobat 6). See earlier forum topic, http://www.proz.com/topic/21528, for details.

HtH,
Roberta

[Edited at 2004-07-13 05:05]

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
This is quite interesting, Jeremy! Jul 13, 2004

Jeremy Smith wrote:

I worked with Acrobat Reader 6.0 since a year now and never knew this function! I continued to search in the open PDF document, one for one....
The only advice (so say the instructions): open Acrobat from the desktop and not from the browser - and it works!

Thank you a lot!

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:00
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Does it work with Arabic charsets too? Jul 13, 2004

Hi Roberta

Thanks for raising this issue, does tis OCR type function work with Arabic scripts and charsets too?

B.Rgds.
Rahi

Roberta Anderson wrote:

Rahi Moosavi wrote:
scanned pages or image files saved as PDF would not allow searching at all.

Not quite; you can convert scanned pages into "text" pdf contents with Paper Capture (free plug-in for Acrobat 5, standard feature in Acrobat 6). See earlier forum topic, http://www.proz.com/topic/21528, for details.

HtH,
Roberta

[Edited at 2004-07-13 05:05]

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Arabic OCRin Acrobat: I don't know Jul 14, 2004

Sorry, Rahi - no idea...
But as is it is a standard Acrobat feature, you might want to check with Adobe directly for this.

roberta

Ezequiel Fernandez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good points! Jul 14, 2004

Thank you all for your useful remarks. I'll try to upgrade my Acrobat to the lastest version and check your tips to search within PDF docs.
Regards,
larru

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to search in PDF documents with the Window's Search Tool

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums