Mobile menu

Skype 1.0 with Skypeout is ready - I'd like to hear about experiences with this software
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:36
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Jul 27, 2004

I'd like to hear about experiences with this software. Now it is possible to call landline or mobile phones.

www.skype.com

July 27, 2004 — Skype 1.0 — Global Calling, Local Rates
Today Skype launches its free, Skype for Windows Version 1.0 software, which includes SkypeOut, enabling Skype users to pre-pay and call any phone number in the world at highly competitive local rates. Also included in Skype 1.0 is a new file transfer feature and other software enhancements

Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2004-07-27 21:14]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-07-27 22:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
Don't know... Jul 28, 2004

Toledo wrote:
I'd like to hear about experiences with this software. Now it is possible to call landline or mobile phones.

Hi Toledo,

I haven't tried this new version but judging from the last one I would not pay for it. Though having a fast cable-connection the only thing I heard when connecting to their test-phone on the net was cracking and I could not understand one word - and not only once. I'd really like to know how people manage to speak to each other with this program. With Netmeeting or PGPphone I don't have any problems:) It would be interesting to see what others have to say about this.

Charlotte

LindaMcM  Identity Verified
Swedish to German
+ ...
I'm also interested in more information... Jul 28, 2004

Hello,

I haven't tried the new version but I'm very happy with the old one.
I have no problems with it - it doesn't matter if I talk to Sweden or New Zealand.
Some day someone called from Japan (or so). It was impossible to understand him but that was one call of maybe 150...

I would also like to hear more about the new feature.

Linda

Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
English to French
+ ...
Great... Jul 29, 2004

I am using the latest version and I could not be more satisfied. Sound is crystal clear, conferencing works wonderfully and, indeed, one can call landlines for a bargain price. Case in point: a 10-minute "call" to France is costing 0,12 euros!

Cheers

Bruno Magne

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
What about security? Jul 29, 2004

To call landlines phones you have to pre-pay into a "account" via credit card. But this system ist just P2P, you do not think that it could be dangerous?

Thks

Toledo

Bruno Magne wrote:

I am using the latest version and I could not be more satisfied. Sound is crystal clear, conferencing works wonderfully and, indeed, one can call landlines for a bargain price. Case in point: a 10-minute "call" to France is costing 0,12 euros!

Cheers

Bruno Magne

Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
English to French
+ ...
In what way Jul 29, 2004

According to the site, the payment system is secure.

Whar would you be afraid of?

Bruno

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
very happy with Skype Oct 26, 2004

Our company switched to using Skype for all inter-subsidiary company communication back in June/July of this year. Now I use it (v.98.0.42) for everything (general communication, training sessions, meetings, performance reviews, etc). I provide a lot of company internal training sessions, so a 3-hour session by skype with 10 employees participating in 3 countries is a significant cost savings.
There are a few bugs and minor limitations with it (depending on your hardware configuration), as is the case with any software application, but overall I am quite happy with it.

Jeff

[Edited at 2004-12-29 13:00]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype 1.0 with Skypeout is ready - I'd like to hear about experiences with this software

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs