Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 20:10
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 6, 2004

Has this ever happened to you?

I downloaded a zip file of almost 10 MB with 35 files from a client's ftp site. I was also given a list of files to be translated and I saw that I was missing 5 files. I enquired about the missing files and was told that they were indeed included in the original zip file and they could download the zip file without problems. A second download had the same files missing. I then asked the client to e-mail me these five files separately. The zip file arri
... See more
Has this ever happened to you?

I downloaded a zip file of almost 10 MB with 35 files from a client's ftp site. I was also given a list of files to be translated and I saw that I was missing 5 files. I enquired about the missing files and was told that they were indeed included in the original zip file and they could download the zip file without problems. A second download had the same files missing. I then asked the client to e-mail me these five files separately. The zip file arrived - empty! Only e-mailing unzipped files finally delivered these files to my computer.
The first thing that happened after opening the first of these file (word) was a system crash. But after that everything worked fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this problem?
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
English to Polish
+ ...
Use WinZip Aug 6, 2004

ZIP built into XP does not recognize all compression methods used by WinZip and in the old Microsoft tradition does not inform you about it.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 20:10
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 6, 2004

That exactly was the problem. Now I see all files.
Well, yet another aspect where MS proves utterly unreliable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

disappearing files within a zip file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »