Thread poster: Pernille Chapman

Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:35
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 31, 2004

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
I've just finished translating a large file using Wordfast 4.12. The text contained index markers/index text, which I had to translate. There are also lots of bookmarks, but when I asked the client if these should be repeated in the target text, and was told that they weren't really important - the main thing was to update the index with the translated text. I followed the Wordfast instructions, but some of the index entries didn't show up in the updated index. This applied only to entries with what I understand are bookmark/hyperlink markers (square brackets showing up in red). Having checked with the client that these markers were not important, I then deleted them, and the index is now updated correctly. HOWEVER - throughout the document, there are similar red brackets, supposedly for hyperlinks, and I just can't find a way to hide them. The table of contents is now updated, but the same red brackets are showing, along with bold black dots and arrows - altogether a right mess.
Does anyone know what's going on here? I should mention that when I tried to clean up the document with the normal clean-up function, I got error messages 5904 and 4198 (whatever that means!) so I used Quick Clean-up instead without any problems.

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. I've already unchecked Bookmarks and Field Codes in Tools, Options, View, but to no avail...My system is Office 2000, Windows 98.

[Edited at 2004-08-31 11:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:35
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Delete the red brackets Aug 31, 2004

Just delete the red brackets that Wordfast put around bookmarks if the bookmarks are of no interest to your client. After deleting them update the TOC and everything should be fine. Upgrade to the latest public version to avoid problems like this.

Regards,
Gerard

Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:35
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice Sep 9, 2004

Dear Gerard,

In the end, I ran the text through Wordfast again, this time saying NO to the option of showing the bookmarks. I've certainly learned my lesson from this one...Thanks for your help in any case,

Pernille

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hyperlink markers showing up in cleaned file

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs