Thread poster: Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:12
German to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2004

I have many sites bookmarked but would like to be able to access a certain glossary quickly when required, for example.
Is it possible to arange favorites in alphabetical order, for example?

Surely you can and I have just never found out how. (When it comes to computing, I woudn't call myself a Bill Gates, not even a Rob Catflap).

Adding this later, I can see that I can rename them, e.g. DE>EN Packaging Glossary, and put them in folders, like DE>EN Industial Techn
... See more
I have many sites bookmarked but would like to be able to access a certain glossary quickly when required, for example.
Is it possible to arange favorites in alphabetical order, for example?

Surely you can and I have just never found out how. (When it comes to computing, I woudn't call myself a Bill Gates, not even a Rob Catflap).

Adding this later, I can see that I can rename them, e.g. DE>EN Packaging Glossary, and put them in folders, like DE>EN Industial Technology. Will the folders and the files inside them automatically go into alphabetical order, though?

All help welcomed
Robin

[Edited at 2004-09-03 03:35]
Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Right-click in your list of favorites - then sort by name Sep 3, 2004

Yes, there is a very easy way to sort favorites alphabetically - right click in your list of favorites, and choose "sort by name" in the pop-up menu.

My favorites are organized in folders (many of them with further subfolders). The folders are also sorted alphabetically, so it's fairly easy to navigate to whatever link I need. And you alphabetize the folders in the same manner as the list - right click - sort by name.... See more
Yes, there is a very easy way to sort favorites alphabetically - right click in your list of favorites, and choose "sort by name" in the pop-up menu.

My favorites are organized in folders (many of them with further subfolders). The folders are also sorted alphabetically, so it's fairly easy to navigate to whatever link I need. And you alphabetize the folders in the same manner as the list - right click - sort by name.

My "favorite" favorites, i.e. those that I access usually several times a day, are listed at the very top. After having alphabetized the list, I just drag my "most favorite" links back to the top of the list. (You do have to re-alphabetize after adding a new favorite, but it's so easy - a couple of mouse clicks, and you're done.)

BTW, if you're interested, there's a nifty little utility (free) out there called "favorg". While it does not alphabetize your favorites, it does store the unique "fav icons" that some websites use (e.g., Google uses a fav icon). I find it very useful as the fav icons break up the list a bit and make picking the link I'm looking for easier.

[Edited at 2004-09-03 03:47]

[Edited at 2004-09-03 03:47]
Collapse

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:12
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 3, 2004

Thank you very much, Ulrike. That's a big help.

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:12
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Drag & Drop... Sep 3, 2004

My system is very similar to Ulrike's... You can arrange the folders alphabetically ("sort by name", by right clicking) or alternatively you can move the cursor on the respective folder name, left click, and drag & drop. Works well, too - if you haven't got that many to be moved or if you want to move it to a prominent position.
HTH
Wenke

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:12
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you, Ulrike Sep 3, 2004

I found that my Favorites in IE were in alphabetical order, though I don't remember doing anything to make them so; but my Bookmarks in Mozilla (which I use most of the time instead of IE) were not. I found that I could perform the same right-click/sort by name operation there too, so my folders are now organized alphabetically.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Organising Favorites

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »