https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/24956-need_help_ensuring_all_messages_go_to_outlook_express.html

need help ensuring all messages go to Outlook Express
Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 22, 2004

Hello all,

This is probably a no brainer, but I am pressed for time and hoping someone has the answer at hand. My apologies if this has been asked before...

I use Outlook Express for my email activity and plain Outlook for calendaring. I normally only open plain Outlook when I want to look at my schedule or insert an appointment. However, lately I have been noticing some incoming messages end up in Outlook's inbox, instead of going to Outlook Express. This happens regar
... See more
Hello all,

This is probably a no brainer, but I am pressed for time and hoping someone has the answer at hand. My apologies if this has been asked before...

I use Outlook Express for my email activity and plain Outlook for calendaring. I normally only open plain Outlook when I want to look at my schedule or insert an appointment. However, lately I have been noticing some incoming messages end up in Outlook's inbox, instead of going to Outlook Express. This happens regardless of whether plain Outlook is open or not. The problem being I do not always check plain Outlook, and do not wish to be receiving any messages there.

Is there anyone who could tell me how to set up the system so all my messages go to Outlook Express? I will be very grateful for any pointers.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2004-09-22 17:15]
Collapse

Melissa Field
Melissa Field  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:01
German to English
+ ...
disable scheduled 'send/receive' ? Sep 22, 2004

Hello Susana,

Although I've not tested this, but might it work to click 'disable scheduled send/receive' under Tools : Send and Receive Settings?

Let me know, I'm curious whether that works...

Best regards,
Melissa

P.S. Also, so that Outlook does not automatically check for e-mail when you open it, under Tools : Options : Mail Setup tab, check off the option "send immediately when connected".

[Edited at 2004-09-22 22:59]

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
Break Outlook's (email) legs Sep 22, 2004

Outlook is able to retrieve messages because it knows where to get them and is set (probably by default) to check for new messages every few minutes. Unless the "leave messages on the server" option is toggled on, the emails retrieved by Outlook will not ever be seen or retrieved by Outlook Express (or any other email program you may prefer). I had the same problem at one point, and I solved it by preventing Outlook for checking for and retrieving messages. I don't have exact instructions becaus... See more
Outlook is able to retrieve messages because it knows where to get them and is set (probably by default) to check for new messages every few minutes. Unless the "leave messages on the server" option is toggled on, the emails retrieved by Outlook will not ever be seen or retrieved by Outlook Express (or any other email program you may prefer). I had the same problem at one point, and I solved it by preventing Outlook for checking for and retrieving messages. I don't have exact instructions because I don't use Outlook at all anymore, but here's the basic methodology.

1. Log off the Internet before running Outlook. This way it can't retrieve messages while you're working on the settings.

2. Go into Options or Preferences (or whatever it's called).

3. Delete the POP and/or IMAP server info. That's where Outlook goes to grab your email. Without this information, it won't be able to do it.

4. For good measure, change the setting from "Check for new mail every X minutes" to "Never." Again, I don't know the exact wording, but if you're able to do this, even if Outlook grabs your mail server settings from Outlook Express next time it runs (Microsoft applications are "friendly" like that), it won't actually go out and retrieve any emails.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Aziz
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:01
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some settings to be made Sep 22, 2004

First, open Internet settings in Internet Explorer (via Tools menu I suppose). Choose programms and ensure, Outlook Express is selected as the programm for handling emails, contacts and newsgroups. Leave plain Outlook only for calendar.

Then in plain Outlook open E-mail accounts from Tools menu (I suppose it is called so, in my german Outlook it is caled "Extras") and remove all accounts you should find there. Without them Outlook should not be able to download any messages.
<
... See more
First, open Internet settings in Internet Explorer (via Tools menu I suppose). Choose programms and ensure, Outlook Express is selected as the programm for handling emails, contacts and newsgroups. Leave plain Outlook only for calendar.

Then in plain Outlook open E-mail accounts from Tools menu (I suppose it is called so, in my german Outlook it is caled "Extras") and remove all accounts you should find there. Without them Outlook should not be able to download any messages.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
success :) Sep 23, 2004

I believe I managed to kill the bugger...thanks for all your suggestions and good wishes

S.G.

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:01
English
File / Work Offline Sep 23, 2004

Too late I know, but "File/Work Offline" would have been much quicker and simpler. Offline status is also remembered after closing Outlook and opening it again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

need help ensuring all messages go to Outlook Express

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »