Adding comments with Acrobat? (*In hurry!*)
Thread poster: Görel Bylund
Görel Bylund
Görel Bylund
Sweden
Local time: 17:55
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 24, 2004

This maybe a stupid question, but i am a bit surprised I haven't found a specific answer reviewing the Adobe web site...

Here goes: When I get a PDF to proofread or QA check, I would like to be able to insert comments directly in the PDF document. As I understood it, there is only one possiblity if I have Adobe Reader, and that is that the customer/agency has a certain license of Acrobat, which makes it possible for them to enable the comments/notes option.

However, thi
... See more
This maybe a stupid question, but i am a bit surprised I haven't found a specific answer reviewing the Adobe web site...

Here goes: When I get a PDF to proofread or QA check, I would like to be able to insert comments directly in the PDF document. As I understood it, there is only one possiblity if I have Adobe Reader, and that is that the customer/agency has a certain license of Acrobat, which makes it possible for them to enable the comments/notes option.

However, this option appears to be pretty expensive, and as far as I know, not many of them have this feature.

My question is, if I have Adobe Acrobat Standard 6.0, and receive a PDF for some kind of review, can I add comments/notes to this document and send the annotated doc back to the customer? (Or do I need Acrobat Pro for this purpose?)

TIA,
Görel
Collapse

Matt Baird
Matt Baird
Germany
German to English
Need Acrobat Pro Sep 24, 2004

Hi Görel,
I believe you need Acrobat Professional in order to annotate. I have both Reader 6.0 and Professional 6.0 and I've only ever been able to use the annotation function in Professional.

Best,
Matt

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:55
Note Tool Sep 24, 2004

You should be able to use the note tool (shortcut: SHIFT + s). Click anywhere in the PDF document and type your note.

I have Adobe Acrobat 5.0. I don't see a "Pro" anywhere, so I'm assuming this is not the Pro version.

Görel Bylund
Görel Bylund
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh darned... Sep 24, 2004

Oh, darned, it's so much more expensive... Aren't there any cheaper tools out there...?

Görel Bylund
Görel Bylund
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds good! Sep 24, 2004

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:

You should be able to use the note tool (shortcut: SHIFT + s). Click anywhere in the PDF document and type your note.

I have Adobe Acrobat 5.0. I don't see a "Pro" anywhere, so I'm assuming this is not the Pro version.

This sounds promising! I was planning to purchase 6.0 (for other reasons as well), but I want to be quite sure that this feature will be included!

BR
Görel

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Solid Converter PDF to Word, Version 2 Sep 25, 2004

Dear Gorel,

I saw the above software which claims to Open Adobe PDF files into Editable Microsoft Word files instantly. It is compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.

The company that makes this product is Escape Velocity.
Address: 20 Sunnyside Avenue, Mill Valley, CA, USA

I have not used it myself and do not kn
... See more
Dear Gorel,

I saw the above software which claims to Open Adobe PDF files into Editable Microsoft Word files instantly. It is compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.

The company that makes this product is Escape Velocity.
Address: 20 Sunnyside Avenue, Mill Valley, CA, USA

I have not used it myself and do not know if it works as claimed.

I do not know if this will be helpful to you, but I jotted down this information in a Best Buy Store in the USA a couple of months ago. The price was about USD 30 at that Miami, Florida store.

Perhaps someone else has first-hand experience with the product. You might also go on-line and check out the Best Buy website.

Good luck!
Lucinda
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
See AA Help Sep 25, 2004

I am interested in this option, but other than copying and pasting into Word, I think it's not possible, except ....read on:

A comment refers to a note, highlighting, and any other markup that you've added to an Adobe PDF document using the commenting tools. A note is the most commonly used comment. ****In Adobe Reader, you can add comments only if the creator of the Adobe PDF document enabled commenting. (See About usage rights.)**** If commenting is enabled, you can place comments
... See more
I am interested in this option, but other than copying and pasting into Word, I think it's not possible, except ....read on:

A comment refers to a note, highlighting, and any other markup that you've added to an Adobe PDF document using the commenting tools. A note is the most commonly used comment. ****In Adobe Reader, you can add comments only if the creator of the Adobe PDF document enabled commenting. (See About usage rights.)**** If commenting is enabled, you can place comments anywhere in the document, and you can determine the style and format of the comment. The tools you need to create comments are located on the Commenting toolbar. The Note tool lets you add the equivalent of a sticky note to your PDF documents. You can also add stamps and file attachments. When you're adding notes to your document, you can use the Properties toolbar to change its appearance. (See Changing colors, icons, and other comment properties.) FROM: Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 HELP

To read more:

ONLINE HELP CONTENTS - Using commenting tools

See list here:

Using Commenting Tools
About adding comments
Adding note comments
Highlighting, crossing out, and underlining text
Adding stamps
Using the Attach File tool
Deleting comments
Changing colors, icons, and other comment properties
Collapse

Görel Bylund
Görel Bylund
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found a solution! Sep 25, 2004

Thank you everybody, but it seems that I found a simple and inexpensive solution to my problem!

I found a tool called Jaws PDF Editor (see http://www.pdfstore.com/details.asp?ProdID=534) which appears to be very easy to use, the edited PDFs can be opened in Adobe Reader without a problem, and the price is only $39. (14 days trial for free.)

There are a lot more pr
... See more
Thank you everybody, but it seems that I found a simple and inexpensive solution to my problem!

I found a tool called Jaws PDF Editor (see http://www.pdfstore.com/details.asp?ProdID=534) which appears to be very easy to use, the edited PDFs can be opened in Adobe Reader without a problem, and the price is only $39. (14 days trial for free.)

There are a lot more priceworthy tools at PDF store, so it could be a good idea to check it out!

Cheers,
Görel
Collapse

Görel Bylund
Görel Bylund
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Needed to annotate the PDF directly Sep 25, 2004

"I saw the above software which claims to Open Adobe PDF files into Editable Microsoft Word files instantly. It is compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP."

Thanks for the tip! However, I needed to be able to annotate the PDF directly, since the customer wants to see the comments in this document, and the formatting may be distorted if you convert it.

But, I found a tool to do the job, see my recent posting above!

BR
Görel

[Edited at 2004-09-26
... See more
"I saw the above software which claims to Open Adobe PDF files into Editable Microsoft Word files instantly. It is compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP."

Thanks for the tip! However, I needed to be able to annotate the PDF directly, since the customer wants to see the comments in this document, and the formatting may be distorted if you convert it.

But, I found a tool to do the job, see my recent posting above!

BR
Görel

[Edited at 2004-09-26 07:23]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding comments with Acrobat? (*In hurry!*)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »