Thread poster: Kajuco
Kajuco
Kajuco
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:52
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 26, 2004

I have Cyrillic fonts installed in Windows, and they work perfectly well including in Word, Excel, emails, Google etc. And I can spell-check documents. But if I try to Start/Find File/Containing text, it only recognises English, French and Italian. If I change to Russian, I get vowels with diacritics, like in emails if the encoding is not Windows Cyrillic. The same problem occurs in the Google menu bar (as opposed to the Google Web Page). Just to show you that I can normally write in Cyrillic, h... See more
I have Cyrillic fonts installed in Windows, and they work perfectly well including in Word, Excel, emails, Google etc. And I can spell-check documents. But if I try to Start/Find File/Containing text, it only recognises English, French and Italian. If I change to Russian, I get vowels with diacritics, like in emails if the encoding is not Windows Cyrillic. The same problem occurs in the Google menu bar (as opposed to the Google Web Page). Just to show you that I can normally write in Cyrillic, here's a couple of words: Ìîñêâà, Ëåíèíãðàä. I would be so grateful if someone could tell me how I can right this - it is very frustrating not to be able to search for files written in Cyrillic.Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't find that this is so. Sep 27, 2004

I have just tried this on my computer, typing in the title of a poem I knew was on it - Îí íå âåðíóëñÿ èç áîÿ. And the search facility found it immediately.

It may depend what systems you are using. I have Windows XP and Word 2000. I am not sure if Windows 98 will do this or not.

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
searching for a file with Cyrillic text Sep 27, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:

I have just tried this on my computer, typing in the title of a poem I knew was on it - Îí íå âåðíóëñÿ èç áîÿ. And the search facility found it immediately.

It may depend what systems you are using. I have Windows XP and Word 2000. I am not sure if Windows 98 will do this or not.

Using Windows 98 might well be the reason.
Having said that, have you checked whether the search still works, despite the way it looks in the field?

It might still work - even though the characters appear in the the field appear as the dreaded "eccentrically jumbled English-with-diacriticals".

Apologies if you've tried and it doesn't work for you (Later: which it didn't, unfortunately)

[Edited at 2004-09-28 19:28]

Kajuco
Kajuco
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 98 at fault? Sep 27, 2004

I was filled with hope by Dr Kvrivishvili's reply and with bated breath tried it out, but alas, to no avail. But I find it difficult to believe that such a basic function should be absent from Windows 98. Can anyone think of any solution?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Second-rate solutions Sep 28, 2004

Obviously you would prefer not to have to decode the gibberish with diacriticals, but there are two ways in which you can do so. One is to enter it on one of the Russian decoding sites such as
http://www.artlebedev.ru/tools/decoder/
(there are several such sites, and this is not necessarily the best one); and the other is to do it manually using the following table:

Cyril
... See more
Obviously you would prefer not to have to decode the gibberish with diacriticals, but there are two ways in which you can do so. One is to enter it on one of the Russian decoding sites such as
http://www.artlebedev.ru/tools/decoder/
(there are several such sites, and this is not necessarily the best one); and the other is to do it manually using the following table:

Cyrillic in W. European encoding:

à = à
á = á
â = â
ấ = ã
ä = ä
å = å
æ = æ
ç = ç
è = è
é = é
ê = ê
ë = ë
ì = ì
í = í
î = î
ï = ï
ð = ð
ñ = ñ
ò = ò
ó = ó
ô = ô
õ = õ
ö = ö
÷ = ÷
ø = ø
ù = ù
ú = ú
û = û
ü = ü
ý = ý
þ = þ
ÿ = ÿ
Collapse

DGK T-I
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
Hello Jack Sep 29, 2004

It's a really convenient table for some situations!

As I understand it, though,
Kajuko's problem is that (using an English operating system) when s/he pastes or types Cyrillic characters into the search box (to find files on the computer containing the Cyrillic search term), the Cyrillic letters typed/pasted into the search box don't just appear as "eccentric-English-characters-with-diacriticals" (pseudo-Snoopy-Woodstock characters) - more importantly than that, they don't fi
... See more
It's a really convenient table for some situations!

As I understand it, though,
Kajuko's problem is that (using an English operating system) when s/he pastes or types Cyrillic characters into the search box (to find files on the computer containing the Cyrillic search term), the Cyrillic letters typed/pasted into the search box don't just appear as "eccentric-English-characters-with-diacriticals" (pseudo-Snoopy-Woodstock characters) - more importantly than that, they don't find the Cyrillic text in the files either (or maybe find other files, but not the ones wanted) - because it's win98 (still good for a great many purposes, but apparently not able to do this on its own, the way I presume say win2000 onwards would be able to).

[Edited at 2004-09-29 11:49]
Collapse

Kajuco
Kajuco
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dr Kvrivishvili is right... Sep 29, 2004

Thanks,Jack, for the code, but that is not my problem. As Dr Kvrivishvili said, my problem is nto simply that Cyrillic text appears as vowels with diacritics but, indeed more imporantly, that the search box does not find files containing Cyrillic text (not even wrong files). It seems preposterous to me that such a basic function should be lacking. Is there no one out there with Windows 98 or even earlier who has had this problem? Or who does not have this problem?

DGK T-I
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
Hello Kajuko Sep 30, 2004

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/full_e.htm
has a useful discussion of the reasons, if you're interested. I'm not posting it for the "full Russification" (changing to a Cyrillic codepage) talked about, which the author's says might be difficult and can be hazardous(!) but the issues facing you are talked about further down - and it's interesting reading.... See more
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/full_e.htm
has a useful discussion of the reasons, if you're interested. I'm not posting it for the "full Russification" (changing to a Cyrillic codepage) talked about, which the author's says might be difficult and can be hazardous(!) but the issues facing you are talked about further down - and it's interesting reading.

They also make a suggestion that they say has a very small chance of working - changing the system font (via 'appearance') to a Cyrillic one or an old Cyrillic one, in case applications use the system font rather than having the font programmed into them specially (see article).

Plenty of applications do work happily with Cyrillic on English Win98 systems (eg: Word'97 onwards, IE, Finereader), the limitation is at the system level rather than the user level. There's a unicode layer for win98 called unicows, which is used by some of these applications to help them work. I believe freestanding search applications Copernic, and Searchwithin have the same problems working with Cyrillic (in an English win98 system) as the built-in search does. Searchwithin is a Java program, and I wondered if altering the java font properties file and font it uses would make the search terms work - but that's all time consuming stuff to learn about if you are not familiar with it, and it might not work.

[Edited at 2004-11-12 22:40]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

searching for a file with Cyrillic text

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »