How to rescue a damaged file
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:08
German to Spanish
Sep 28, 2004

Hi,
Ich have a file in a CD that I can not open or copy into my PC (message: this file can not be copy error CRC)

any clue how can I rescue it?

Thks

Direct link Reply with quote

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Check if the CD has any scratches... Sep 28, 2004

dust, etc. There are good cleaning kits out there, but usually a clean cotton cloth and some water does wonders. Just be careful to start from the middle of the CD and wipe towards the outer side of it.

Another idea is to try it on different CD-ROM units; some are better than others and can pick up even the lowest quality CDs.

If all that fails you will have to resort to some data recovery tool such as CDCheck 3 or IsoBuster.

[Edited at 2004-09-28 17:11]

[Edited at 2004-09-28 17:21]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:08
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Not better ;-( Sep 28, 2004

Rossana Triaca wrote:

dust, etc. There are good cleaning kits out there, but usually a clean cotton cloth and some water does wonders. Just be careful to start from the middle of the CD and wipe towards the outer side of it.

Another idea is to try it on different CD-ROM units; some are better than others and can pick up even the lowest quality CDs.

If all that fails you will have to resort to some data recovery tool such as CDCheck 3 or IsoBuster.

[Edited at 2004-09-28 17:11]

[Edited at 2004-09-28 17:21]

I follow your instructions but...no success
CDCheck says there is a error and can not recover it.

Anyway Thks

[Edited at 2004-09-29 09:23]

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Ouch... Sep 28, 2004

before completely giving up I would try in several other computers (particularly in CD/RW and CD/DVD units - a cybercafé may prove useful here).

Then, after backuping what could be salvaged, I´d turn to more abrasive cleaners, starting with water with dishwasher detergent, then isopropyl alcohol and then even gently polishing the disc with toothpaste (if a scratch is clearly visible this helps).

There are also some special polishing devices for CDs (just like a case but with a knob that rotates the disc against a mild abrasive surface). Maybe you local computer shop carries one of these...

And, if all of this fails, I´d figure out a truly imaginative way to destroy the CD as a form of therapy. A magnifying glass and a sunny day out in the porch can be incredibly relaxing. Or, a few drops of benzene or nail polish here and there may turn out in a true postmodern masterpiece.

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to rescue a damaged file

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs