I am getting more bounced email notices than usual
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2004

I have recently had a couple of bounced emails, a few more than usual. Previously it seemed that it happened just once in a blue moon, now often enough (maybe one per week) to be worrying.

The problem is that I don't know these mails haven't arrived until at least 4/5 days later.

The message I get is this one:

"This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was
not reachable within the allowed queue period. The amount of time
a message is queued before it is returned depends on local configura-
tion parameters.

Most likely there is a network problem that prevented delivery, but
it is also possible that the computer is turned off, or does not
have a mail system running right now". ETC

It seems to happen consistently with EIRCOM in Ireland and with HOTMAIL.

What's causing this problem?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-29 17:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

James Calder  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contact your ISP Sep 29, 2004

Hi Ailish,

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago when my email address appeared on a spam blacklist for some reason. I contacted my Internet Service Provider and they sorted it out within the day. I'm not sure if that's what's happened to you but your ISP should be able to help you out.

HTH

James Calder

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Receiver or sender problem? Sep 29, 2004

James Calder wrote:

Hi Ailish,

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago when my email address appeared on a spam blacklist for some reason. I contacted my Internet Service Provider and they sorted it out within the day. I'm not sure if that's what's happened to you but your ISP should be able to help you out.

HTH

James Calder

But the message would imply that the problem is at teh receiving end, surely?

vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:58
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Full mailbox Sep 29, 2004

I know from personal experience that one of the possible causes could be that the mailbox of the recipient is full.

James Calder  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contact them anyway Sep 29, 2004

Hello again Ailish,

The original message does say, "Most likely there is a network problem that prevented delivery" so I would still contact your ISP. They should be able to tell what's going on even if the problem's not at your end.
I'm no computer expert and I'm sorry if this isn't much help but I did have a fairly similar problem a couple of weeks ago.
Hope you get it sorted out.

James

By the way, Vixen is right. It could be something as untechnical as a full mailbox at the other end.

[Edited at 2004-09-29 13:43]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not necessarily at the receiving end Sep 29, 2004

Hi Ailish,
But the message would imply that the problem is at teh receiving end, surely?

Not necessarily. The apparent inability to deliver a message to a target server can have a variety of reasons - including the unavailability of the target domain, of course. But it could also be a problem with DNS resolution at your ISP (the process where your ISP addresses a name server to find out the IP address belonging to a particular domain).

If the problem persists, contact your ISP and send them the IP headers of returned messages.

Best regards, Ralf

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
We had the same problem this week Sep 29, 2004

in one case it must have been a network problem, because we sent a message and a back-up message to the same destination (from different accounts at the same time). For one account I received "message delayed" notices every 24hrs, until the "message undeliverable" notice arrived. The message from the other account reached its destination immediately, and ironically it was the hotmail which got through and the (normally reliable:-)) paid-for account which didn't.
It's true that full mailboxes often are the culprits, but it didn't seem like it in this case.

I'd say it's well worth contacting the ISP, just in case.

[Edited at 2004-09-29 15:07]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all:-) Sep 29, 2004

And it's just happened AGAIN!

I replied to a job offer this morning, and when I was juggling about whether to accept another offer, I sent an email to ask for an update (not to leave them in the lurch) - they replied to that email saying they hadn't got the previous one! Again it was to Ireland, but not the same provider.

I will do as recommended and contact my ISP.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am getting more bounced email notices than usual

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs