Mobile menu

.tif files
Thread poster: MARCELA RUIZ

MARCELA RUIZ  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2004

I have a translation assigment and the client has sent 15 pages in 15 separate .tif files.
I've tried to scan them to MSWord with the AbbyyFineReader and it only let me do it with the first file, for the other 14 it shows a dialog box saying it is not a supported format - and they are all .tif!!
Any suggestion to avoid having to scan them "manually", i.e. printing and using the scanner?

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Save in other format Oct 19, 2004

I have seen different versions of .tif format. Try to open the pictures in any image processing software and save them in an other format. I think .bmp is generally the most compatible one.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:07
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly, save in another format Oct 19, 2004

Harry is right. The TIFF format can use different compression algorithms (none, LZW, JPEG, etc.) and some applications cannot work with all of them.

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 11:07
English to Russian
Compression is the culprit Oct 20, 2004

The TIFF format can use different compression algorithms (none, LZW, JPEG, etc.) and some applications cannot work with all of them.

FineReader does not accept most types of compression, I normally save images as Windows bitmaps with no compression (*.BMP)

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
German to English
+ ...
DocMorph Oct 20, 2004

Try DocMorph ? - It is a web-based free scanning service offered by US National Library of Medicine.

- DocMorph's Text Extraction facility uses optical character recognition (OCR) to convert scanned images to text. The Text Extraction facility can also extract text from any of the list of over 50 files that DocMorph is able to process. -

- DocMorph handles nearly all types of TIFF files, except for some old types of TIFF JPEG files. TIFF files may be submitted as single page or multi-page TIFF. Images may be black and white, grayscale, color, uncompressed, or compressed using LZW, Group 3 or Group 4 algorithms. DocMorph also handles PackBits compression. -

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.tif files

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs