Thread poster: Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 16:39
English to German
+ ...
Nov 15, 2004

I just dowloaded a to me save looking trial version of a CAT tool which was mentioned in a different forum to see what it is all about. I looked at it and decided to uninstall it again. What happend is that after I uninstalled the programm all my documents are gone plus the MacAffee Virus reomoval tool too? It is still deactivated I think I am big trouble.

Kind regards,
Andrea

Huh, I just realized the music folder and picture folder is empty too.

[Edited a
... See more
I just dowloaded a to me save looking trial version of a CAT tool which was mentioned in a different forum to see what it is all about. I looked at it and decided to uninstall it again. What happend is that after I uninstalled the programm all my documents are gone plus the MacAffee Virus reomoval tool too? It is still deactivated I think I am big trouble.

Kind regards,
Andrea

Huh, I just realized the music folder and picture folder is empty too.

[Edited at 2004-11-15 19:06]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 22:39
English to German
+ ...
that is really strange Nov 15, 2004

Hi! if you are using XP edition, you can set your comp to a previous restore point. This way you will not lose all the files. But I am surprised to know that this tool you have downloaded has caused it. you will find this necessary system restoration program generally in the folder Accessories.
Regards,
Brandis

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I cant retrieve it. Nov 15, 2004

Brandis wrote:

Hi! if you are using XP edition, you can set your comp to a previous restore point. This way you will not lose all the files. But I am surprised to know that this tool you have downloaded has caused it. you will find this necessary system restoration program generally in the folder Accessories.
Regards,
Brandis

I tried a second restore point and could not retrieve it. I am absolutley stunnded by what kind of damage I can do.

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
no restoration of document files from restore points Nov 15, 2004

Andrea Di Marco wrote:

Brandis wrote:

Regards,
Brandis

I tried a second restore point and could not retrieve it. I am absolutley stunnded by what kind of damage I can do.

I'm afraid that you can only restore settings and programs using windows restore points, not document files. NO matter how many restore points you go back.

I hope you make regular backups!!
I can't see any other solution
Grace.

ps. ...did you check the recycle bin? in case they have been left there??

[Edited at 2004-11-15 19:53]

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
search Nov 15, 2004

Hi Andrea,

maybe you have inadvertently drag+dropped the files somewhere else or the program did. Try searching for them - including the wastepaper basket - on all drives.

Good luck
Jill

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
you may be able to recover the files (or have them recovered for you) Nov 15, 2004

Even if you can't locate any of the files anywhere (not even with 'search invisible files and folders' enabled), the actual files are most like still there, but the directory entries that tell the operating system where they are stored on the hard disk have been erased.
If you don't have backups for your files, you don't have to panic quite yet. It's possible to recover the files as long as they haven't been overwritten by new files. The first thing you should do is immediately stop using
... See more
Even if you can't locate any of the files anywhere (not even with 'search invisible files and folders' enabled), the actual files are most like still there, but the directory entries that tell the operating system where they are stored on the hard disk have been erased.
If you don't have backups for your files, you don't have to panic quite yet. It's possible to recover the files as long as they haven't been overwritten by new files. The first thing you should do is immediately stop using the computer, or at least, avoid creating any new files or working with any existing files (to avoid overwriting the files you want to recover). In practical terms, the safest thing is to simply stop using the computer until the files have been recovered.
Next, you need to recover the files. If you feel competent of your nerd skills, you can buy a commercial file recovery utility (Norton, etc.; ask your favourite computer store) and use it to try to recover the files. If you don't trust yourself to do this (and lots of things can go wrong), there are numerous companies that will do it for you for a price -- have a look in the yellow pages. This will probably involve letting them have your computer for a day or so (or maybe longer, I don't have any personal experience), or at least temporarily exchanging the hard disk.

good luck -- ken
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What do I do now? Nov 15, 2004

I found some files through search including Trados in C:documents and settings. If I try to send it to Document folder it says this shortcut is no more available.I also reinstalled the deleted virus scan and it says; Potentialy unwanted programm C-/Volume Information. So I think the files are somewhere.
Thanks to all of you, I will post the outcome of my Schlamassel (-;
Kind regards,
Andrea

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
English
Documents and Settings Folder Nov 16, 2004

I have seen this issue being discussed in PC magazines, and they describe it as "an undocumented feature". The concensus of opinion was that in the event of windows encountering a serious error it will restore default settings from the Windows CAB files stored as part of the Windows XP installation. After a reboot you will probably see a warning box saying "Windows has recovered from a serious error".

One of the side effects is that some or all default folders are overwritten and th
... See more
I have seen this issue being discussed in PC magazines, and they describe it as "an undocumented feature". The concensus of opinion was that in the event of windows encountering a serious error it will restore default settings from the Windows CAB files stored as part of the Windows XP installation. After a reboot you will probably see a warning box saying "Windows has recovered from a serious error".

One of the side effects is that some or all default folders are overwritten and the contents are lost. The 'My Documents' folder is a default folder stored within 'Documents and Settings'. That folder also just happens to be where most programs store their configuration files.

The key to protecting yourself against this event in future is to create your own folders and change the 'default directories' within Office to point to this new folder.
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I am a beginner again ((-; Nov 16, 2004

TechTrans wrote:

One of the side effects is that some or all default folders are overwritten and the contents are lost. The 'My Documents' folder is a default folder stored within 'Documents and Settings'. That folder also just happens to be where most programs store their configuration files.

The key to protecting yourself against this event in future is to create your own folders and change the 'default directories' within Office to point to this new folder.

Hello,

I believe all my data is lost. I think this will only happen once in your lifetime. Backup data? I wish I would have done this easy task.
The other thing I dont understand is; how could my MacAffee virus scan be removed, it was uninstalled from the progams?

I really appreciate everybody´s response. Thanks!
Best regards,
Andrea (-: there is worse right?

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
get a data recovery expert Nov 16, 2004

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the compliments!!

About your computer...to be honest with you, I would be crying
First thing is, as someone mentioned, *don't use it anymore*. If you don't
have backups the only chance to recover your documents is to take it to some
expert in data recovery (they even do it from nearly unreadable har
... See more
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the compliments!!

About your computer...to be honest with you, I would be crying
First thing is, as someone mentioned, *don't use it anymore*. If you don't
have backups the only chance to recover your documents is to take it to some
expert in data recovery (they even do it from nearly unreadable hard
drives). It will cost money, but for next time you'll have a lesson learnt.

Once you have that sorted, store your working files in a different folder,
not any of windows default folders because that's rubbish (windows is!).

And last, make backups (CDs, DVDs, USB sticks, other computer, some backup
server on the internet, there are lots of options).
Hope you can get out of it soon!!

Kind regards,
Grace.

ps. I replied to your email but it was "kindly" rejected by some anti spam thing that has my servers IP in their list (first time in my life that this happens...and it was from my work address

[Edited at 2004-11-16 12:56]
Collapse

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
English
System Registry Nov 16, 2004

This sounds like your PC suffered from a bad install/uninstall routine.

The system registry stores a list of all installed programs within a single folder. Remove one of these entries from that folder and the program will vanish from the "add/remove programs" list.

I guess it will never be known if this was a registry corruption, file corruption, or even directly attributable to the software you were uninstalling, but the catalyst was almost certainly the uninstall rout
... See more

The system registry stores a list of all installed programs within a single folder. Remove one of these entries from that folder and the program will vanish from the "add/remove programs" list.

I guess it will never be known if this was a registry corruption, file corruption, or even directly attributable to the software you were uninstalling, but the catalyst was almost certainly the uninstall routine for that software.

If you haven't done too much HD activity, it may still be able to recover some of the lost files by using a file recovery tool. There are many available through the internet.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=freeware%20+file%20recovery%20tools

When a file is deleted (for whatever reason), it's entry is removed from the file allocation table (this is where the computer keeps a list of all files on your HD and where they can be found) and the first letter of the file name is deleted. This makes it invisible to Windows and lets the computer know the space is available for re-use. File recovery software scans the HD areas marked as available for use and looks for data. When it finds something it will try to recover as much of the file as possible and ask you to rename the file, then restore the file.

Unless you use a 'file shredder' program to delete files, you will be surprised at how much is still hiding on your HD.
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Most of the files are recovered Nov 17, 2004

TechTrans wrote:

I guess it will never be known if this was a registry corruption, file corruption, or even directly attributable to the software you were uninstalling, but the catalyst was almost certainly the uninstall routine for that software.

If you haven't done too much HD activity, it may still be able to recover some of the lost files by using a file recovery tool. There are many available through the internet.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=freeware%20+file%20recovery%20tools

When a file is deleted (for whatever reason), it's entry is removed from the file allocation table (this is where the computer keeps a list of all files on your HD and where they can be found) and the first letter of the file name is deleted. This makes it invisible to Windows and lets the computer know the space is available for re-use. File recovery software scans the HD areas marked as available for use and looks for data. When it finds something it will try to recover as much of the file as possible and ask you to rename the file, then restore the file.

Unless you use a 'file shredder' program to delete files, you will be surprised at how much is still hiding on your HD.

Hello und thank you,
I downloaded the suggested recovery tool and retrieved my documents. It is not really free which is fine as the loss would be so much greater. Once I downloaded the tool it gives you a whole list of your lost files and a one file recovery option, as I saw that this is working I bought the program for 50.00 dollars and worked all day to retrieve those files. I was surprised what else they found. It really digs deep.
Anyway all the files are back but once I want to open a word doc. for example the conversion window opens and shows that all my doc. are encoded. I tried each version to make it readable but I could not. But somehow I will fix this. Thanks for all your suggestions. Tschüssle Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All contents in my Document folder are gone

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »