Mobile menu

How can I force a determined line size?
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:27
German to Spanish
Jan 18, 2005

I need to prepare files (Excel and Word) for translation, but the lines must have maximum 30 characters. How can I do that and will Trados respect this limitation too during translation?

Thks

Toledo

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use formating Jan 18, 2005

Copy the text to a new document.
Format it with CourierNew (use styles for that, not local formating!).
Make the page settings so, that you get only 30 characters per line. The easiest way is to put 123456789012345678901234567890 in the first line (these are 30 characters) and then slide the page delimeters marks in Word so long, until the text becomes cut off - then you move the delimeter slightly back and the line can get no more than 30 characters.

Then translate using Trados as usuall - Trados opens the segments and you write your translation in a new line, so you can allways keep withing the 30 characters with no need for looking somwhere for number or so on. Simply if the text fits in the line, it is less than 30 characters, otherwise you are too long.

Regards
Jerzy

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
this might be of help... Jan 18, 2005

Toledo wrote:

I need to prepare files (Excel and Word) for translation, but the lines must have maximum 30 characters. How can I do that and will Trados respect this limitation too during translation?

Thks

Toledo

Hi Fernando,

Check these message at the Wordfast yahoo group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/message/37493
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/message/37494
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/message/37499

There are some macros to do exactly that, but I'm not sure of how they should be modified to work with Trados.
At least it might give you an idea of how to limit the number of characters per line.

Regards,
Grace.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
It is working! Jan 18, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Copy the text to a new document.
Format it with CourierNew (use styles for that, not local formating!).
Regards
Jerzy

I thought that it would not be so easy since I need texts files and saving as ".txt" it would lose this format, but surprise! Before saving, Word asks if I want to put a hard return on each line!

Good!

Now I still need an idea to force columns to a determinate size in Excel.

Thks

And Graziela thks too for the links, but for this job it is too much action

[Edited at 2005-01-18 18:53]

[Edited at 2005-01-18 18:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I force a determined line size?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs