Mobile menu

Glossaries (turning them around)
Thread poster: NR_Stedman
NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:06
French to English
Feb 1, 2005

Does anyone know a simple way of turning an english-french glossary into a french-english glossary (for a txt file)

Many thanks for your answers, I tried the Word one first and it worked. The Excel solution looks even simpler for next time!

[Edited at 2005-02-01 18:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:06
French to English
+ ...
Excel Feb 1, 2005

I think there's probably a way of doing it if you open the txt file in Excel. Unfortunately, I don't know how to swap columns around in Excel, but I'm sure it must be possible.

vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:06
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Import in Word Feb 1, 2005

1) Open the txt file in Word and select all text (Ctrl-A).
2) Select Table > Convert > Text to table.
3) Select the number of columns for the table.
4) Select the delimiter that was used in the txt file. E.g. if this was a semi-colon ';' enter this sign in the field Other.
5) Select the first (English) column.
6) Use Ctrl-x to delete it from the current position.
7) Select the 2nd column (originally 3rd), right-click and select Paste column.
8) Select the entire table and then Table > Sort.
9) Sort by Column1, Ascending.

This will result in a table listing the French terms in alphabetical order in the 1st column and the English terms in the 2nd column.

To convert the file back to a txt file, select the table and then Table > Convert > Table to text. After this, you can save the file again as a text file.

HTH,
Marianne

[Edited at 2005-02-01 11:41]

[Edited at 2005-02-01 11:43]

Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Excel - quick and simple Feb 1, 2005

Nicholas Stedman wrote:

Does anyone know a simple way of turning an english-french glossary into a french-english glossary

Hi Nicholas,
I am by NO MEANS an excel expert, but: open Excel, choose import external data and then import data. Choose the text file you want. Select import as tab delimited. Select the cell/row number (by default I think it's A1).
Once the glossary is imported, selected Column A (English) copy and paste to column C (or D or whatever you want). Select the now empty column A and delete the whole column from the edit menu. This should move column B (French) across and it should now be column A. If you pasted the original English column into C this should now be your column B.
Save the file as text delimited with tabs.
Sounds complicated but it's really not.
Others might have a 'neater' way of achieving this, but the concept should get you started.
Bambi

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
This works, many thanks. Feb 1, 2005

vixen wrote:

1) Open the txt file in Word and select all text (Ctrl-A).
2) Select Table > Convert > Text to table.
3) Select the number of columns for the table.
4) Select the delimiter that was used in the txt file. E.g. if this was a semi-colon ';' enter this sign in the field Other.
5) Select the first (English) column.
6) Use Ctrl-x to delete it from the current position.
7) Select the 2nd column (originally 3rd), right-click and select Paste column.
8) Select the entire table and then Table > Sort.
9) Sort by Column1, Ascending.

This will result in a table listing the French terms in alphabetical order in the 1st column and the English terms in the 2nd column.

To convert the file back to a txt file, select the table and then Table > Convert > Table to text. After this, you can save the file again as a text file.

HTH,
Marianne

[Edited at 2005-02-01 11:41]

[Edited at 2005-02-01 11:43]

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
If Excel does not understand a format of a text file... Feb 1, 2005

You can use a specialized tool like AWK (there is a number of free implementations). If you have problems with Excel, send me some lines of your file, and I shall send you an AWK script reversing them. Then you run this script on a whole file, and that's it.

[Edited at 2005-02-01 14:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossaries (turning them around)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs