HTML - page width
Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 15:37
French to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2005

The layout of pages on my website (see for example: http://www.geocities.com/itisme88/personal/nodoblatge.htm) looks horribly ugly on my widescreen laptop (as does the proz.com website, for that matter). The paragraphs are just to wide. I'm thinking about two options to sort it out. One would be the BBC approach (news.bbc.co.uk/sport) of leaving a wide blank on the right-hand si... See more
The layout of pages on my website (see for example: http://www.geocities.com/itisme88/personal/nodoblatge.htm) looks horribly ugly on my widescreen laptop (as does the proz.com website, for that matter). The paragraphs are just to wide. I'm thinking about two options to sort it out. One would be the BBC approach (news.bbc.co.uk/sport) of leaving a wide blank on the right-hand side for users of wider screens.

I'm inclined to prefer the approach used by my university's website (www.uab.es (the English translation is mine!!!)) of having everything alligned down the middle. What's the neatest way of doing this in HTML?

Also, most pages don't seem to fully justify the text. I prefer the text fully justified. What do most people recommend?
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:37
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use css-style-sheets Feb 3, 2005

P { font-family: Verdana,Arial;
font-size: 14px;
line-height: 110%;
text-indent: 2%;
text-align:justify;
margin-left: 2%;
margin-right: 2%;
}

Above an example, how the paragraph tag can be modified to justify the text. Look at some sites about html and css programming in English.
Or look at some examples of page layout that you like and try those with your own files. After all everything on the web is open for us to see and co
... See more
}

Above an example, how the paragraph tag can be modified to justify the text. Look at some sites about html and css programming in English.
Or look at some examples of page layout that you like and try those with your own files. After all everything on the web is open for us to see and copy.
Regards

Heinrich
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TABLE Feb 3, 2005

Put it in a table!

PS

All browsers support TABLE.

[Edited at 2005-02-03 14:25]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
there is also the width attribute Feb 3, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

}

Or look at some examples of page layout that you like and try those with your own files. After all everything on the web is open for us to see and copy.
Regards

Heinrich

Not all browsers support the margin-right option. For example Mozilla does not (or at least did not, when I tested it). So using the margin-left attribute in combination with the width attribute, for example width: 19cm might be an alternative.

HTH

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HTML - page width

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »