Do the proz pages of non-paying members get indexed by Google?
Thread poster: Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:00
Catalan to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2005

Hi everyone,

I am asking this for a friend who is not yet a member of proz.com. I hope this is the correct place in the forum to ask!

My friend has created a page in proz.com and has added keywords, but can't find any reference to his page on Google. Is this facility only available to paying members perhaps?

Many thanks in advance!

Sheila

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:00
Spanish to English
Time lapse for Google to find pages Feb 22, 2005

Hello Sheila,

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with membership, but rather the time delay that it takes Google to find new pages.

I remember a company that I used to work for went through a similar process when designing their new website. It actually took a couple of weeks before their website started to rank high in Google searches.

I have been able to find non-paying members through Google searches, so I think it is just a matter of time.

... See more
Hello Sheila,

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with membership, but rather the time delay that it takes Google to find new pages.

I remember a company that I used to work for went through a similar process when designing their new website. It actually took a couple of weeks before their website started to rank high in Google searches.

I have been able to find non-paying members through Google searches, so I think it is just a matter of time.

Russell

[Edited at 2005-02-22 20:31]
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:00
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I don't know, but... Feb 22, 2005

Hi Sheila

I think that I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't understand how your friend can at the same time have created a page in Proz.com and not be a member yet.
If (s)he created a profile, (s)he's a member, although not Platinum, which would be the reason for your question.

The only thing I know is that it takes some time to be foundable, as well as it takes some time to disappear when you don't want to be foundable.

Claudia

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Claudia Feb 22, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Hi Sheila

I think that I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't understand how your friend can at the same time have created a page in Proz.com and not be a member yet.
If (s)he created a profile, (s)he's a member, although not Platinum, which would be the reason for your question.

The only thing I know is that it takes some time to be foundable, as well as it takes some time to disappear when you don't want to be foundable.

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the confusion - I meant to say he is not yet a ***paying*** member of proz! However, he has had a profile and some details in his page for several months now.

Maybe it's just a question of time then.

Thanks again,

Sheila

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Russell Feb 22, 2005

Russell Gillis wrote:

Hello Sheila,

Russell

[Edited at 2005-02-22 20:31]

Hi Russell,

Thanks for your reply I think you are probably right. However, he has been a member - albeit non-paying - for several months, so I thought it was a little odd. However, he only added keywords to his page the other day though. Maybe you have to have some keywords to be 'searchable' by Google? Who knows? Maybe the more keywords you have the more likely you are to be found by Google?

I'll just tell him to be patient and keep checking!

Sheila

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Do the proz pages of non-paying members get indexed by Google? Feb 22, 2005

Yes.

Marc

Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
See what I found...! Feb 22, 2005

Tadzio: "Prompt response, inspired translator" [Translator ...]
Tadzio Mexico Prompt response, inspired translator. Send email to this person... Tadzio accepts secure payments here:. PayPal: ...
www.proz.com/pro/78873

ProZ.com Forums -
... Si deseas que te mande los "Tutorials", envíame tu email. Tadzio. México... Un saludo a
... See more
Tadzio: "Prompt response, inspired translator" [Translator ...]
Tadzio Mexico Prompt response, inspired translator. Send email to this person... Tadzio accepts secure payments here:. PayPal: ...
www.proz.com/pro/78873

ProZ.com Forums -
... Si deseas que te mande los "Tutorials", envíame tu email. Tadzio. México... Un saludo afectuoso desde México. Tadzio. ...
www.proz.com/topic/29067 - 55k

Yes, Google DOES index ProZ non-paying members.)
Tadzio.
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Yes! Feb 23, 2005

I'm indexed, and I'm a non-paying member

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 20:00
Me too Feb 23, 2005

Same case as Marie-Claude!

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes... Feb 23, 2005

But remember how Google works: the more pages that link to the page in question, the higher that page will rank in Google. Everytime you answer a KudoZ-question, for example, your picture appears and is linked to your profile page (with emphasis placed on linked)...

If your friend (or any member of ProZ) wants to improve the Google-ranking, I would suggest taking an active role in KudoZ and in the forums.

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Local time: 15:00
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
LingoPros Feb 24, 2005

The key is to be active. Google will find you!

[Edited at 2005-03-15 10:22]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
He can add it to Google himself Feb 28, 2005

Sheila Hardie wrote:
My friend has created a page in proz.com and has added keywords, but can't find any reference to his page on Google. Is this facility only available to paying members perhaps?

Google does index non-paying members' pages. I've had my Proz-profile page indexed by Google without having submitted it to Google or any other search engine.

Your friend could always manually add his page to the Google index. Google for "add url" and add the URL. Then wait.

The Open Directory, which also feeds Google and affects the site's rating in Google searches, no longer accepts template-based Proz-pages (regardless of paid or non-paid).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do the proz pages of non-paying members get indexed by Google?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »