Thread poster: Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:02
French to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2016

Hello. I received a document that was set up by the publisher in docx.pdf format that, when you click on it, is supposed to open directly into Word without having to convert it. I was asked to just add French accents on French quotations, then save it in .pdf format and send it back.

The first time I opened the document it opened in Word, but I noticed that after saving it and going back to work on it again, the formatting was really messed up.

I tried to go back to t
... See more
Hello. I received a document that was set up by the publisher in docx.pdf format that, when you click on it, is supposed to open directly into Word without having to convert it. I was asked to just add French accents on French quotations, then save it in .pdf format and send it back.

The first time I opened the document it opened in Word, but I noticed that after saving it and going back to work on it again, the formatting was really messed up.

I tried to go back to the original e-mail and reopen the document, but it opened in Adobe and I could not edit it without converting it to Word, which again messed the format up.

The client (a private party) thinks I did something horrible to the formatting, which I did not touch. All I can imagine is that a setting got changed, or was inadvertently changed by me, and this is causing the problem.

Is anyone familiar with this type of set up? Do I need to change a setting?

What should have been a one hour project has turned into a BIG headache!

I would be most grateful for any suggestions!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:02
English to Russian
Ask your client to give you an editable format. Feb 12, 2016

Hi Paula,

To avoid 'horrible actions' on your side, I would leave it for client. Ask your client to give you an editable document – they need it edited, don't they.
After you return the document as edited, they can make a pdf version as needed.

That is what I would do.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 02:02
English to German
There is no such thing like a docx.pdf format Feb 12, 2016

Paula Loubier wrote:

a document that was set up by the publisher in docx.pdf format that, when you click on it, is supposed to open directly into Word without having to convert it. I was asked to just add French accents on French quotations, then save it in .pdf format and send it back.

What is a docx.pdf format? It's a .pdf document, isn't it? There is no way to convert from .pdf to .docx just because .pdf doesnt't contain all necessary formatting info – period.

Recent Word versions are able to read & write .pdf, but this is a crutch solution that will work only with certain simple formattings.

Is anyone familiar with this type of set up? Do I need to change a setting?

The workflow is wrong, not your settings.

The only solution: For minor changes edit the .pdf in Adobe Acrobat directly. For greater changes edit the original using the original text processor software, then convert it to a .pdf using Acrobat. Your client seems to be a computer illiterate, otherwise he hadn't given the instructions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening/working with a docx.pdf document

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »