Transfor of data from old to new PC
Thread poster: Rufino Pérez De La Sierra

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2005

Thank in advance for your help. I will get a new (and much needed) PC, and am wondering if there is an easy way to transfer all my data, music, pictures, etc.. from the old to the new PC?

Any advice is appreciated.

Old PC = Pentium III, Windows 2000
New PC = Sony Vaoi PIV, Windows XP

Thakns again!

Rufino

Direct link Reply with quote

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
French to English
Windows XP "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" Feb 28, 2005

Hi,

Windows XP has a "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" that you can run when setting up/configuring Windows XP on your new computer. It will work with Windows 2000. It should do an adequate job of transfering files and most settings. I thought it needed to be more comprehensive with transferring settings. That said, it did a good job with the files and is a good starting point for configuration and settings.

Bruce

[Edited at 2005-02-28 18:05]

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bruce Feb 28, 2005

But... How will the new computer be connevcted to the old one so files can be transfered?

Thanks!

Rufino

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
French to English
several options Feb 28, 2005

Hi,

They can be connected through an Ethernet network, or by a null-modem serial cable, or printer cable. When you start the tool it tells how to do the connect. More information is on the Microsoft web site; you should be able to find it by searching for "files and settings transfer wizard."

I have a Linksys DSL/Router that I use as a firewall and a small home/home office network, so I connected the old and new systems through the network. This was very useful during the transition. Small routers intended for home use are very cheap and it's worth getting one for the ease of migrating systems.

(The Vaio is a laptop, right?)

When I was migrating systems, it involved two desktop machines and I wanted to run both at the same time without having duplicate monitors, keyboards, etc. so I got a Belkin two-system KVM+sound switch. (KVM = keyboard, video and mouse). It has one set of connectors for the keyboard, video, mouse and speakers, and two sets of cables---one for each computer. You switch between computers be pressing a key combination on the keyboard.

Bruce

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:01
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
simplest two connections Mar 1, 2005

If you only have two systems and you're not planning on getting a router, network hub, DSL Modem, or other device that can also run a LAN, the simplest two connections are:

- A direct cable connection:
Either serial or parallel as Bruce mentioned. This operates like a virtual dial-up network. Using a parallel to parallel connection through a printer cable is usually more reliable in this case. The advantage is that it frees your ethernet card for a cable modem if you have one, but if you're accessing the internet through a dial-up connection, you can either use one or the other at the same time. It is also slower than an ethernet connection and less reliable for large throughputs. The following MS site gives copious details: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814981

- A cross-over cable:
This is a regular ethernet cable that has two wires crossed so it can connect two PC's directly without a hub. This is a much better set-up since it gives you a true ethernet network made up of two PC's. If you add systems in the future and get a hub, you can still use the cross-over cable by connecting it to the "up-link" socket instead of a regular one. If you use this option, remember to mark the cross-over cable so it is not confused with other ethernet cables when you expand in the future. In this case you use the ethernet cards in both your systems, so you cannot use your cable modem, unless it has a USB adapter. If it does, you get a pretty good setup at home with a LAN connected to high-speed internet.

Alaa

[Edited at 2005-03-01 02:37]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:01
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If these are desktops Mar 1, 2005

so the fastest way would be to build the HDD from the old PC temporarily in the new PC, copy all data (using either the MS utility specified above or simple Windows Explorer, if you are well aware what data you need).
No other connection can be faster. This works allways, but is not advisable for notebooks, as replacing or connecting additionals HDDs to notebook requires very good skills and is not allways possible.

Using a crossover Ethernet cable, as Alaa suggest, would be then the best way. Your new PC has a network card integrated. If the old one does not have one, buy one - they are not very expensive, even for laptops.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
If you could specify, if these are laptops, and - if so - if the old laptop has a PCMCIA slot, I could give you a tip on a necessary network card (if not allready integrated; if your old PC is a brand one, then it will very likely allready have a network card)

Nedzad Selmanovic
English to Bosnian
+ ...
try burning the files on to CD-ROM Mar 1, 2005

If your workstation managment skills are limited, you can always burn your data on to a CD-ROM (or more of them - depending on the size of files for transfer), and then copy the files to your new workstation. That way you will create additional back up of your files.

Cheers,

Nedzad

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Mar 1, 2005

Both machines are desktop computers, and I think the easiest way to go will be using a parallel cable, and XP functions. I will let you know how did that work.

Again, thank you all!

Rufino

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
One sure & safe way is plugging the old HD or HDs into the new PC Mar 1, 2005

... and just copying the h*l out of the old hardware onto the new hard disks.

Actually it may even make sense to leave the old disks in the new enclosure - assuming it's not a notebook of course or something prohibiting this approach -. I still have C drive from three generations ago in my latest clunker - additional to the big HD from the generation minus 1.

Hope this does not sound too wild.

Regards

vito

PS: ...and Jerzy mentioned this already anyhow. Re parallel cable - make sure it's a long weekend. And don't stay home while doing it;)

[Edited at 2005-03-01 20:27]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oh, gee, this will take ages Mar 1, 2005

The parallel port is VERY slow...
Your new PC will surely have Ethernet.
If your old one does not have Ethernet, you can buy a PCI card, for example look here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-163-101&depa=1 - with shipping to Canada it will stay below 20 bucks. And you will not have to wait for ages, until you are done. They sell more networking cards, this is only an example. But this one would certainly do.
Or go to the nearest computer shop and purchase one there.

The difference between he speed is 100 Mbps for Ethernet to 2 Mbps for parallel connection (details see here: http://techpatterns.com/forums/about181.html). Using special network cards and cable you can even reach 1000 Mbps...
This is 50 times respective 500 times faster than LPT.

Choosing the LPT connection will be the second worst solution. Only burning lots of data on CD just for transfer them to the other PC would be even slower IMO.

Regards
Jerzy

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
1 euro of costs and the weekend needed only! Mar 2, 2005

BDS way to do the thing.

Buy the CD/RW. (its price is about 1 euro here at tallinn, VAT included)
its capacity is usually 650/700 mb
burn the first portion of info.
insert it into new PC and copy files to the new hard drive
burn the second portion of info from the old PC
burn the last portion of info from the old PC
copy files to the new hard drive.

Naturally it works if you have CD-writer in the old PC. if not you can borrow one from a friend.

In any case I do not recommend to copy old program files.
Even if you are 200% sure everything is Ok and you had no virus it is better to reinstall programs from scratch.

In case you have some settings in old My documents folder you would like to save (bookmarks cookies etc.) I think it is possible to do it with the help of backup window's utility.
As the most of the info is copied prior to this operation, the backup file proves to be relatively small.

One more thing - it is good to do this during weekend and start in the morning.

If you have both computers connected in LAN, consider whether you really need to move info. You can easily access it on the old machine as well.

[Edited at 2005-03-02 20:42]

[Edited at 2005-03-02 20:42]

[Edited at 2005-03-02 20:49]

[Edited at 2005-03-02 20:50]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
INCD great program Mar 2, 2005

Please consider installation of this small program from Ahead to your PC. It is supplied on the same disc with Ahead Nero.

You will be able to use the CD/RW as a big floppy then. In this case the capacity of CD/RW is slightly less / about 550 MB

However with it the process of copying to CD looks like dragging and dropping of file from one window (source folder) to another (folder on CD/RW) only.

[Edited at 2005-03-02 20:47]

[Edited at 2005-03-02 20:48]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It will take ages to work in this way Mar 2, 2005

Burning data on CD is very good for archiving purposes, but is IMO not a way to transfer data from PC to PC.
The new PC will very likely have a DVD-writter with all necessary software, but still it takes a lot of time to burn a CD/DVD. In the same time the data would be copied via Ethernet.

But the best method would really be to build the old HDD into the new PC (do not connect it to the same port as the new HDD - unless you will the speed go down) and keep it as long there, until all necessary data is copied.

Burning CDs/DVDs would be give additional safety for the future as data backup.

Regards
Jerzy

Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
jerzy is absolutely right Mar 3, 2005

Built in the old harddrive into your new computer. It is not that difficult to do. And if you are no longer going to use your old computer, you might consider leaving it there as backup. I have my most important files on a second harddrive in case the first one crashes (I also make backups on cds, but I realise it will be a lot of work to put everything back from cds).

VBaby
Local time: 00:01
English to French
+ ...
IntelliMover from Detto Mar 5, 2005

I transferred my old WinMe PC to an XP notebook using IntelliMover from Detto (known as TransferMyPC in Europe). Easy setup, easy transfer of settings, the software comes with both USB and parallel cables, file transfer utility can be used repeatedly if you forgot to transfer some files the first time.
This is - to my knowledge - the most highly migration utility on the market (consistently gets good reviews from Walt Mossberg, CNET, etc). More user-friendly and versatile than the XP wizard, but it costs about $50.

Product page:
http://www.detto.com/Intellimover/

Mossberg review:
http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/report-200402.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transfor of data from old to new PC

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs