Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 23:27
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 1, 2005

I get now and then requests to localize QX files. I have to say no, because I don't see any reason to buy that ... mastodont - to wait a year or two to break even on something I actually do not need.

Given the fact I just need the software to get at the text and later put it in back again in a half-decent way...
i) is there a way to purchase a time-limited license (I guess not...)
ii) is there a way (here at Proz?) to get a loaner? I'm paying for the time on it, locati
... See more
I get now and then requests to localize QX files. I have to say no, because I don't see any reason to buy that ... mastodont - to wait a year or two to break even on something I actually do not need.

Given the fact I just need the software to get at the text and later put it in back again in a half-decent way...
ii) is there a way (here at Proz?) to get a loaner? I'm paying for the time on it, location Munich.
iii) any other suggestions - bar crack URLs of course

TiA

vito
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Quark Xpress trial version Mar 1, 2005

I'm not aware of a trial license for Quark Xpress
see the following thread:
http://www.proz.com/post/200133#200133

Jeff

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados TagEditor supports some Quark Express file formats Mar 1, 2005

Vito Smolej wrote:

I get now and then requests to localize QX files.

What kind of QuarkXpress files? Trados TagEditor does support some of them, e.g. my version supports QuarkXPress Tagged files (QSC, XTG, TTG, TAG files). Depending on the kind of file, maybe if you have Trados, you could accept these occasional requests without seeing the final output.
BR
M.

[Edited at 2005-03-01 21:34]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you have Trados Mar 1, 2005

you could send the Story Collector for QXP to your customer, if they work with PC. Then your customer would be able to export the Quark text as qsc tagged text, which you can process in TAG Editor.
This has the disadvantage, that you do not see the input and have no influence on the formating - and this is very often very bad.
Many people are using Quark only to get good output for the special ocassion - so they use manual line breaks and spaces to get indention or even hard returns
... See more
you could send the Story Collector for QXP to your customer, if they work with PC. Then your customer would be able to export the Quark text as qsc tagged text, which you can process in TAG Editor.
This has the disadvantage, that you do not see the input and have no influence on the formating - and this is very often very bad.
Many people are using Quark only to get good output for the special ocassion - so they use manual line breaks and spaces to get indention or even hard returns and tabs and so on.
So the segmentation of such export maybe really bad.

But still you could process the job without actually having QXP.
Other possibility is to look on eBay for an older license (if it would be QXP 4, you could still work with it) and then upgrade. In this way you could save up to 50% on the normal price, regarding how much you need to pay on eBay. But the bids go usually quite high, I must admit.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I've got a demo version ... Mar 2, 2005

Jeff Allen wrote:

I'm not aware of a trial license for Quark Xpress
see the following thread:
http://www.proz.com/post/200133#200133

Jeff

... but there's not much one could do in terms of a serious work...

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
That's my way of thinking right now.... Mar 2, 2005

a) have a tagged file exported
b) work on it and
c) keep fingers crossed I dont screw up some important tag

So far my experience was negative, going this way, but then again, qxc is NOT qsc and I may have bitten on granite / file format the first few tries.

Re Ebay - I've been thinking about that too. The risk of incompatibility is high, but, hey, we live in a dangerous world (g).

regards & TX

smo
[20 min later] "Story Collect
... See more
a) have a tagged file exported
b) work on it and
c) keep fingers crossed I dont screw up some important tag

So far my experience was negative, going this way, but then again, qxc is NOT qsc and I may have bitten on granite / file format the first few tries.

Re Ebay - I've been thinking about that too. The risk of incompatibility is high, but, hey, we live in a dangerous world (g).

regards & TX

smo
[20 min later] "Story Collector? Huh? Well, er ... there was something ... lemme see" - I went and found it in my own TRADOS (installed 7.7.2004) - Moral of the story: a little (more) reading (along the RTFM lines) can go a long long way.

Plus: there's QXP 6 specials for 199$ on the net - there's nothing Google will not find for you.

[Edited at 2005-03-02 04:56]
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:27
English to Russian
+ ...
it is true! Mar 2, 2005

[20 min later] "Story Collector? Huh? Well, er ... there was something ... lemme see" - I went and found it in my own TRADOS (installed 7.7.2004) - Moral of the story: a little (more) reading (along the RTFM lines) can go a long long way.

[Edited at 2005-03-02 04:56]

It is really in full accordance with one of russian engineers' saying: If something goes wrong all the time and the device does not work properly, maybe it is high time to start reading the manual for the first time?

Just smiling as I had a lot of similar problems in my work. reading of the second page of the manual really makes wonders. And about hundred of page still unread.

[Edited at 2005-03-02 20:58]

Christian Le Bras
Christian Le Bras
English to French
text extraction from a Quark Express file (.qxd) Mar 29, 2005

Hello, everybody,
I am trying to find a Quark Express owner to extract the text
of a .qxd file so I can translate it using Word. I do not need
Quark Express per se.
Thank you in advance.

Vito Smolej wrote:

ii) is there a way (here at Proz?) to get a loaner? I'm paying for the time on it, location Munich.
iii) any other suggestions - bar crack URLs of course

TiA

vito

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
QX to Word? and then what? Mar 29, 2005

In case you happen to have TRADOS, you can get to QX files via QX plug-ins, that generate TRADOS-readable material. See TRADOS File Formats Reference Guide, ch 5 for more.

If it's just raw material you want to get your hands on and/or you dont have TRADOS, well ... this is close to bad taste, but wth...:

a) have the customer print it out
b) scan and OCR the printout

Regards

vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quark Express time-limited license?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »