Desktop search programs not indexing Microsoft glossaries correctly
Thread poster: Timothy Barton

Timothy Barton
Local time: 18:58
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2005

None of my three desktop search programs, Copernic, Yahoo and Google, are indexing my Microsoft glossaries correctly. Copernic doesn't index .csv files, but the other two do, and the files appear in the list. For example, the file spa-xla-csv-GreatPlains75.csv has the entry "Great Plains Utilities". If I put this phrase into Google Desktop Search in inverted commas it fails to pick it up; if I leave out the commas, it picks it up, but also picks up other files in which the three words don't appear together. In Yahoo, it doesn't pick up the file even without the inverted commas. I've tried inserting spaces between all the commas (the terms had no space between the commas and the next term), but that didn't achieve anything. Can anyone suggest anything? Does anyone know of a free utility that will let me convert them all to txt? All the free utilities I've found restrict how many files you can convert until you pay to register.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:58
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Reference search in Wordfast Mar 22, 2005

You could use Reference search in Wordfast. You don't need a license to use that feature.

Regards,
Gerard

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
CSVConverter Mar 22, 2005

Hi,

there are several tools out there that work with Microsoft's glossaries and support a better search within those. Unfortunately, I am not using any of these myself and therefore don't know their names.

One tool I know of is called CSVConverter. It's a small Java app that converts your CSV files to TMX. I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but at least you might be able to import a TMX file into your CAT and use the concordance/reference search.

Here's the link:
http://www.maxprograms.com/

HTH.

Sonja

xxxOlaf
English to German
Try ApSIC XBench Mar 22, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:

None of my three desktop search programs, Copernic, Yahoo and Google, are indexing my Microsoft glossaries correctly.

Try http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html. This tool even allows you convert .csv file to .tmx files.

Olaf

Timothy Barton
Local time: 18:58
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 22, 2005

Olaf wrote:

Timothy Barton wrote:

None of my three desktop search programs, Copernic, Yahoo and Google, are indexing my Microsoft glossaries correctly.

Try http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html. This tool even allows you convert .csv file to .tmx files.

Olaf

Thanks. I haven't got time to try it now, but it looks a very useful program.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Desktop search programs not indexing Microsoft glossaries correctly

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs