Mobile menu

Win2000 - Cannot delete file from computer
Thread poster: jmadsen

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:09
Apr 2, 2005

I have two files on my computer that I simply cannot delete. The files were part of projects now backed up on a cd, but these two files refuse to be deleted.

One file is a itd file (SDLX) and the other is a e-mail message stored as a separate file. Both files have very long names (cannot be edited either), but would that be the cause?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Jørgen

Direct link Reply with quote

davidgreen
German to English
do you have any reason to delete the files? Apr 2, 2005

They appear to be Trados related (at least the first file) and when I typed "delete itd file (SDLX)" into google the first site:
http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products/products-newsletter-2005-february/sdlx-trados-compatibility.htm
says NOT to delete the itd file.
hope that helps

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Some ideas Apr 2, 2005

1. Search your PC for corrupt templates: ~*.dot
2. If the file is protected, make it "eraseable", if not, clic the write protected cell ON, save it and then make it OFF again, then try to change the name.
3. Create another user and try to delete the file from there

Maybe...

Good Luck!

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-04-04 15:24]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Command prompt Apr 3, 2005

You could also try deleting them from the command prompt (del filename.itd) - maybe use wildcards, if the name is long and complicated.

jmadsen  Identity Verified
TOPIC STARTER
Tried it with limited success Apr 5, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

You could also try deleting them from the command prompt (del filename.itd) - maybe use wildcards, if the name is long and complicated.

I previously managed to delete one "undeleteable" file this way (also using wildcards), but these two files still remain.

Jørgen

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Here's a guide that might help Apr 13, 2005

Maybe this guide can help you. It's written for Windows XP, but the utility mentioned should do the trick for you. I have another program of this sort at home - can't remember the name right now, though.

Of course, before you delete, you should be absolutely certain you want to do this, as of course, you're doing this at your own risk.

Regards,
Benjamin

edit: Urghhk, the url bug strikes again. Change "h t m % 2 0 l" to "html" and it should work.

[Edited at 2005-04-13 11:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Win2000 - Cannot delete file from computer

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs