https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/31558-do_you_prepare_files_before_translating.html

Do you prepare files before translating?
Thread poster: Estefanía González
Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 21, 2005

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone has used already tools such as Ando or Open Office, in order to avoid possible setbacks whilst translating.

If yes, which one would you recommend?

Kind regards

Estefanía

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:37
English to German
+ ...
OpenOffice.org? Apr 22, 2005

Hello Estefania,

I am not sure I have understood your question correctly.

I once installed Ando but actually never used it. That was about a year ago or so. Although the features seemed promising I just never got around to really use it. Whether you will benefit from it is entirely up to you. Have a look at the Ando Tools webpage. They are also mentioning a Yahoo u
... See more
Hello Estefania,

I am not sure I have understood your question correctly.

I once installed Ando but actually never used it. That was about a year ago or so. Although the features seemed promising I just never got around to really use it. Whether you will benefit from it is entirely up to you. Have a look at the Ando Tools webpage. They are also mentioning a Yahoo user group were you may find some more information and help.

As for Open Office, I understand you are talking about OpenOffice.org, which is an open source office suite available at no cost. I believe that OOo itself does not provide you with additional functions that would make your life easier, let alone "prepare your documents" before starting to translate. It is merely a set of applications like Microsoft Office, with a wordprocessor, spreadsheet, presentation, etc. component. It is also capable of displaying and handling MS Office files.
OmegaT and Heartsome are two CAT tools that are able to handle OOo files. If you are using any of these tools and you want to work on MS Office files, you have to convert them with OOo first. Is that what you meant by "preparing files before translation"?

I hope I've got everything right.

Kindly,

Sonja
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Please rephrase your question Apr 22, 2005

Estefanía González wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has used already tools such as Ando or Open Office, in order to avoid possible setbacks whilst translating.

OpenOffice and Ando are two completely different types of tools. Besides, I don't see how you can "prepare" a document with either. Please rephrase your question.

Estefanía González
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Prepare documents Apr 22, 2005

Hi again,

I am afraid I haven't expressed myself properly

I sometimes come across documents with complicated formatting (lots of different fonts, etc) which overload my CAT tool (in my case Wordfast) while I work.

I was wondering if there is a way to "prepare" the files with Aldo Tools or sth. similar, in order prevent Word from crashing when I translate files with "special" formatting.
... See more
Hi again,

I am afraid I haven't expressed myself properly

I sometimes come across documents with complicated formatting (lots of different fonts, etc) which overload my CAT tool (in my case Wordfast) while I work.

I was wondering if there is a way to "prepare" the files with Aldo Tools or sth. similar, in order prevent Word from crashing when I translate files with "special" formatting.

Thanks again!

Estefanía
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ando Apr 22, 2005

According to their website:

Preparing for Translation. Ando Tools gives you an overview of what the document contains and lets you effectively solve font and style issues; it can automatically save all documents as RTFs, and insert tw4win styles so that you can replace certain text for external or internal style. You can then define replacement operations and have them performed on all opened documents.

However, I don't see if this will solve the font issue you are describing. My advice is: give it a try. You'll never know unless you've tried it yourself.

HTH.

Sonja

Estefanía González
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 22, 2005

Thanks for your piece of advice !

Have a nice week-end.

Estefanía

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you prepare files before translating?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »