Mobile menu

Can SDLX and Trados be installed in the same computer?
Thread poster: Monika Coulson

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:10
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
May 22, 2005

I have problems with SDLX when I install it in the same computer where I have installed Trados. Does anyone else have the same problem as I do? I no longer have problems if I install SDLX and Trados in different computers though.

I thought Trados TM was compatible with SDLX TM, but I was not able to import my Trados TM to the SDLX TM. Are they truly compatible or was this just my problem?

I would appreciate sharing your experiences with these two translation software tools.

I normally use Trados, and I use SDLX less frequent (only when clients request it.)

I have Trados 6.5.5 (Freelance)
SDLX 2005

MTIA,
Monika

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 18:10
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes, no problem here May 22, 2005

Hi Monika,

I have problems with SDLX when I install it in the same computer where I have installed Trados.

Which problems? I never had any (from old versions to 2004). Being in the middle of a project I haven't installed version 2005 yet (installing it shouldn't have caused any trouble, but I preferred not to check it).

I have various CATs installed.. If necessary for any reason, I can also keep all of them open without any problem at all...

I thought Trados TM was compatible with SDLX TM, but I was not able to import my Trados TM to the SDLX TM. Are they truly compatible or was this just my problem?

You can import a Trados *.txt into a SDLX TM (via SDLX module Maintain). Dropdown Menu TM --> Import --> Trados or delimited file. Follow instructions, eventually press "Analyse import files for available languages", done! And I import heavy Trados TMs..

Giuliana

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:10
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Same here... May 22, 2005

Same here, no problem at all (installation + TM exchange)

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
No problem May 22, 2005

I have both installed and everything is fine. You didn't specify which version of SDLX you have, If you have SDLX Lite, you're very limited as to what you can do.

The reason I think you might have Lite is that once you've worked with the full version of SDLX it's very hard to go back to Trados.

In case you have SDLX Standard, the way to import a TM from one to the other is to first export it. From Trados to SDLX, you export the TM as .txt. From SDLX, you can export it as Trados. But there are other ways as well.

Best,
Esther

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:10
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No problems here too May 22, 2005

And even upgrading both Trados and/or SDLX within running projects without any problems.
SDLX, Trados and Transit Satellite do not collide in any way on my PC. I use Transit since 1997, Trados since 2000 and SDLX since 2003. I´ve installed them one after another and encountered no problems at all.

Regards
Jerzy

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:10
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 23, 2005

Thank you very much for all your replies. This is what I needed to know: now I know that is something wrong on my side.

Monika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can SDLX and Trados be installed in the same computer?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs