Working outside on a laptop - unable to see screen
Thread poster: Tansy

Tansy  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
German to English
May 25, 2005

One of the benefits of working freelance is (supposedly) the ability to work when and where one wants to. Now that summer is approaching I'd like to use my laptop outside more - however I find that the brightness outside makes it impossible to see what's on the screen. Even putting up a parasol and working in the shade doesn't help much. The only solution I've found so far is to put my laptop in a cardboard box. Does anybody have a better solution to this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
laptop in the garden May 25, 2005

"The only solution I've found so far is to put my laptop in a cardboard box. Does anybody have a better solution to this problem? "

Well, thank you for THAT idea. I have also tried a lot of strange contraptions, wihout success. I had visions of getting at least a nice tan on my shoulders and back, but nothing doing. So, tomorrow, I'll try the box and let you know if it is up to the glare in south-west France at this time of the year.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
can't wait to find out! May 25, 2005

I am dead keen to find out how I TOO can work outside:-)

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Heat dissipation might become a problem May 25, 2005

Just a word of warning: cardboard might also stop the air from circulating properly, a delicate issue with modern laptops.

I usually look for a place in the shadow, which is good also for my head, as I am practically bold)

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Ask an advertising company how did they do it May 26, 2005

Search one of these adds where people use laptops on the beach and ask the creator of this add for advice
And while you are it, ask those people where to get those nice looking hamburgers we see in advertisements, those in fastfood restaurants look so much thinner.

Seriously, there are more issues: wind can blow sand into the keyboard and other parts of your machine when working at the beach, bird droppings, sun burning your neck...
I decided against mixing work and recration.
Regards
Heinrich

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 05:57
stupid idea but... May 26, 2005

Do you wear sunglasses when working outside? Has that helped?

But hey, I live in Ireland, what would I know about nice weather! *lol*

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
Ehrm... May 26, 2005

try working outside when it's dark?

sylvie

Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Screen filter May 26, 2005

You can use a screen filter for glare reduction. Here are a few examples. Go to Selection by Categories -> Monitors and then Accessories -> Filters.

HTH

Joeri

[Edited at 2005-05-26 09:15]

xxxNicolette Ri
French to Dutch
+ ...
Headaches May 26, 2005

Too much surrounding light will give you headaches, even with sunglasses. I tried to do so but I gave it up. I think there are two solutions: leave the laptop in the house but do all your paperwork in the garden (documentation, proofreading, etc.). Or adopt the meditteranean way of life: work from 6 to 10 a.m. and 6 to 10 p.m., and sleep in between.

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
bananas' cardboard box!! May 26, 2005

Just a word of warning: cardboard might also stop the air from circulating properly, a delicate issue with modern laptops.

That's WHY I use a babanas' cardboard box Seriously! it's excellent cos it's got small holes at the sides and back to let the air flow.

Happy translat/sunbath-ing!!
Grace.

Tansy  Identity Verified
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 27, 2005

Erm - yes, thanks for the helpful and not quite so helpful comments
Sure, the ads always show people lying around on beaches and parks working on laptops - and as ads are supposed to deliver what they promise mentioning the advertising standards authority might even produce results there))
Unfortunately sunglasses don't make a huge difference.
A banana box with ventilation is sure to be better than a standard cardboard box - that's a useful idea!
However the filter screen is just the kind of answer I'd been hoping for - I shall order one and see if it works.
I hope everyone who has it is enjoying the fantastic summer weather!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working outside on a laptop - unable to see screen

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs