https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/32986-are_there_alternatives_to_acrobat_reader.html

Are there alternatives to Acrobat Reader?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 2, 2005

I once tried out version 6 of Reader, but it was awfully slow, so I discarded it and installed 5 again.
Because it does'nt seem possible to have both 5 and 6 installed and use 6 or later versions only when they are needed, I'd like to have a third party program that is capable of showing pdfs and their new features, like comment-lists etc.
Any suggestions?

Regards

Heinrich

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 07:02
German to English
+ ...
Acrobat 7 Jun 2, 2005

Hello,

Acrobat 7 should be faster.

Hans

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
XPDF Jun 2, 2005

XPDF, and several variants of it, on Linux. I don't know about Windows. I can't say much about the features, either, as I generally use the Linux version of Acrobat Reader 7.

Marc

Ioana Costache
Ioana Costache  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
suggestion Jun 2, 2005

Perhaps you could try Jaws: http://www.jawspdf.com/

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 22:02
English to Arabic
+ ...
Acrobat Reader version 7 runs smoother and faster than version 6 Jun 2, 2005

Greetings.

Acrobat Reader (AR) version 7 runs smoother and faster than version 6.

The reasons for slowness / clunkiness of AR v. 6 are unknown, according to the techies at Adobe when I called about experience with similar "performance lag" of v.6.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

Nick Lingris
Nick Lingris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:02
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
Acrobat Reader SpeedUp Jun 2, 2005

Try this program to speed up the launch of your Acrobat Reader.

http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php

Béatrice Huret-Morton
Béatrice Huret-Morton  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Preview for mac Jun 2, 2005

Preview (also called aperçu in French) is excellent on the mac, but I don't know if it's available for PC.

Cheers,

Béa

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Foxit PDF Reader Jun 2, 2005

It's free and launches very quickly, but sometimes I come across pdf files that don't open with it (not very often, though).

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Sonja

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Disable the plugin Jun 2, 2005

Do you use FireFox or Mozilla? (If not, do so, they're much better than anything else on Windows.)

If so, do the following, making sure you use WordPad to edit the file (you probably only have to do what I've marked with asterisks):

How can I remove the Acrobat Plugin?

Delete the file named nppdf32.dll from your Mozilla Firefox plugins folder. You may have to enable showing hidden files to do this.

I didn't install the Acrobat plugin for Mo
... See more
Do you use FireFox or Mozilla? (If not, do so, they're much better than anything else on Windows.)

If so, do the following, making sure you use WordPad to edit the file (you probably only have to do what I've marked with asterisks):

How can I remove the Acrobat Plugin?

Delete the file named nppdf32.dll from your Mozilla Firefox plugins folder. You may have to enable showing hidden files to do this.

I didn't install the Acrobat plugin for Mozilla, so why is it using it?

Mozilla's plugin scanning is locating another copy of the Acrobat plugin, using either the Acrobat plugin scan, or the Netscape 4.x plugin scan.

Important! Mozilla configuration files may need to be edited with a text editor that supports Unix line endings, such as Wordpad. Do not use Notepad to edit configuration files.

******* To disable the Acrobat plugin scan, open \default\pref\winpref.js (see the note at the bottom), and comment the following line by adding // to the start.*******

pref("plugin.scan.Acrobat", "5.0");

To disable the Netscape 4.x plugin scan, open \default\pref\winpref.js, and uncomment the following line by removing the //.

//pref("plugin.scan.4xPluginFolder", false);

Note that this will prevent any plugins from being detected using the Netscape 4.x plugin scan, not just the Acrobat plugin. More information about plugin scanning.

Note: In recent Mozilla builds, you will need to edit \greprefs\all.js instead of \default\pref\winpref.js.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No alternative I see Jun 3, 2005

It was version 7 I evaluated a few months ago, but what I got was version 6 after download from Adobe. I do not wish to live through the same nightmare again.
I tried now the Jaws pdf-editor, but as far as I can see there is no way to list comments which are already in the pdf file when it is loaded into the editor. To get support one has to registrate, but in order to registrate one has to have a serial number that is not shown anywhere.
So I have to leave it at that for the while b
... See more
It was version 7 I evaluated a few months ago, but what I got was version 6 after download from Adobe. I do not wish to live through the same nightmare again.
I tried now the Jaws pdf-editor, but as far as I can see there is no way to list comments which are already in the pdf file when it is loaded into the editor. To get support one has to registrate, but in order to registrate one has to have a serial number that is not shown anywhere.
So I have to leave it at that for the while being.

Thanks for your help!

Heinrich
Collapse

elrubio
elrubio
German to Italian
+ ...
FOXIT Jun 3, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

So I have to leave it at that for the while being.

Thanks for your help!

Heinrich

Foxit is a very good alternative. it works very good and quickly!
http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try the Fox... Jun 3, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I once tried out version 6 of Reader, but it was awfully slow, so I discarded it and installed 5 again.

The same is true for the computers at my place of work... they are mostly old W95 machines, and sometimes even Acrobat Reader 5 is too slow.

I have found another PDF reader called Foxit PDF Reader, which is lightning fast even on large files. I use it for when I want to view and/or print a file only.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ (freeware)

However, Foxit's text copy function is not very useful and for that I have to use the Acrobat Reader, which is slower but copies the text in a more useful format.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there alternatives to Acrobat Reader?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »