Thread poster: LCK
LCK
United States
Local time: 21:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 4, 2005

Hi everyone,

I have a translation that has turned into a nightmare. I had to scan every page. Although the scanner was set up as both editable text and graphics, it scanned them as image (you know what that means...huge file!) when I saved it as Word it came out all distorded so I ended up converting it into a PDF and then save it as Word... This wasn't so bad, but it made it huge...and nevermind not being able to use my translation tool. Now the worst part is coming: I finally had to get another colleague's help because this ordeal took way too much time that I didn't have.
I need some help to get the translated pages back to me but the email won't take such big folders. Any ideas?
I appreciate any helpful suggestions you may have.

Lisa

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Create an gmail account? Jun 4, 2005

Sorry for you having such bad luck.
Maybe you can create an gmail account? They are huge.
HTH,
Natália

Lisa Kirby wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a translation that has turned into a nightmare. I had to scan every page. Although the scanner was set up as both editable text and graphics, it scanned them as image (you know what that means...huge file!) when I saved it as Word it came out all distorded so I ended up converting it into a PDF and then save it as Word... This wasn't so bad, but it made it huge...and nevermind not being able to use my translation tool. Now the worst part is coming: I finally had to get another colleague's help because this ordeal took way too much time that I didn't have.
I need some help to get the translated pages back to me but the email won't take such big folders. Any ideas?

Lisa

LCK
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Natália Jun 4, 2005

Natália Fialho wrote:

Sorry for you having such bad luck.
Maybe you can create an gmail account? They are huge.
HTH,
Natália

Lisa Kirby wrote:

Hi everyone,

Lisa

Someone told me about GMail...Do I just need to sign up?

[Edited at 2005-06-04 11:47]

Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 03:00
English to Serbian
+ ...
make it smaller Jun 4, 2005

If i understand now you have one huge file in word format. Save it again as pdf, split in several files and send. You can also split text in word and save it in several files.

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:00
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Size Jun 4, 2005

What is the total size of the files?

LCK
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My colleage only has the Adobe Acrobe reader. She tried to compress the file but it's still too big Jun 4, 2005

Natasa_C wrote:

If i understand now you have one huge file in word format. Save it again as pdf, split in several files and send. You can also split text in word and save it in several files.

[Edited at 2005-06-04 12:11]

LCK
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
in Word 98.4 MB (103,209,170 bytes) this is only the first batch Jun 4, 2005

austra muizniece wrote:

What is the total size of the files?

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Image format Jun 4, 2005

Image files can get really huge if you use unsuitable format and resolution. The difference in size can be tenfold or more. For example, if the text is black and white, you shoud scan and save it as BW GIF, not JPEG or uncompressed TIFF. Also, it's not a good idea to put huge bitmaps into a Word document, because the file will be much bigger than the original images. PDF should be OK. If you have to use Word, you should compress the document.

But of course, the best solution would be using an OCR tool to convert the images into editable text. This won't work for a handwritten document, though.

LCK
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I actually scanned it and then saved it as a PDF file not a jpeg. Jun 4, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Image files can get really huge if you use unsuitable format and resolution. The difference in size can be tenfold or more. For example, if the text is black and white, you shoud scan and save it as BW GIF, not JPEG or uncompressed TIFF. Also, it's not a good idea to put huge bitmaps into a Word document, because the file will be much bigger than the original images. PDF should be OK. If you have to use Word, you should compress the document.

But of course, the best solution would be using an OCR tool to convert the images into editable text. This won't work for a handwritten document, though.

Can you tell me what is an OCR tool? I've never heard of it.

Natália is suggesting GMail so at least the files can be sent back to me...mmmm

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Don't use Word Jun 4, 2005

If I understand it correctly, your colleague is scanning the document for you and sending it to you by e-mail?

Forget Word, scan the pages as individual image files and send them in several e-mails. Test the scanner settings first to get the smallest file possible (probably black and white and not too high resolution).

LCK
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's a "no choice" kind of situation. I have to use Word for the client Jun 4, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

If I understand it correctly, your colleague is scanning the document for you and sending it to you by e-mail?

Forget Word, scan the pages as individual image files and send them in several e-mails. Test the scanner settings first to get the smallest file possible (probably black and white and not too high resolution).

There seems to be a confusion: I scanned the pages and then sent them to my colleague. The translation was finally saved as a Word document with an image. We had to work in text boxes to translate over the originals so we could keep the pictures just like the original...Didn't I say this was a nightmare? it is! Now my dear friend can't get them back to me and since she is on the other side of the world, we are stuck with this dilema

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
OCR Jun 4, 2005

I actually scanned it and then saved it as a PDF file not a jpeg

It still depends on your scanner settings how the images were converted to PDF. PDF is not an image format.

Can you tell me what is an OCR tool? I've never heard of it.

Definition from Google:

Optical Character Recognition is a technology that takes data from a paper document and turns it into editable text data. The document is first scanned, then the OCR software searches the document for letters, numbers, and other characters and attempts the conversion.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Word Jun 4, 2005

Lisa Kirby wrote:

There seems to be a confusion: I scanned the pages and then sent them to my colleague. The translation was finally saved as a Word document with an image. We had to work in text boxes to translate over the originals so we could keep the pictures just like the original...Didn't I say this was a nightmare? it is! Now my dear friend can't get them back to me and since she is on the other side of the world, we are stuck with this dilema

Oh, that's a different situation.

You can ask your colleague to send you only the translation in Word and then add the images yourself (you still have them, don't you?).

But if you need only the images from the original document, you should scan only those (or crop the original scanned images in a graphics program) and insert them into the translation. It's unnecessary to keep the original scanned text overlayed with text boxes, as it increases the file size dramatically.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use an FTP-account Jun 4, 2005

If you don´t have any, contact me via my profile, so you could use mine for this case.

Regards
Jerzy

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
gmail Jun 4, 2005

Hi Lisa,
Definitely a nightmare! Gmail is still by invitation only as far as I know, but I do have some invitations. Just write to me at my gmail address (rather than through my profile) and I'll send you one. From there you just sign up and it's free!
Best of all, it's capacity is 2260 MB! Yes, you read that correctly! We're talking gigabytes!
HTH!
Catherine

[Edited at 2005-06-04 13:49]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Graphics and text hardcopy translation turning into a nightmare

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs