Mobile menu

Google Desktop Search fails to index a Word file
Thread poster: Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Jun 8, 2005

Is there a Google help group somewhere? I like Google Desktop Search interface, but I have a few issues with it that are driving me nuts. I won't list them here, but one particular issue is making my work difficult. I have a Word document that, for some reason, never gets indexed. I have tried moving it to other folders. When I do, it gets indexed. When I put it back where it should be, Google refuses to touch it. What gives?

And is there a way to force Google to perform indexing at any given time (rather than wait for its own internal schedule).

I appreciate any insights.

Direct link Reply with quote

bartek  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
English to Polish
+ ...
Try this Jun 8, 2005

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Google-Desktop-Search
T.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some alternatives... Jun 8, 2005

Fuad Yahya wrote:
And is there a way to force Google to perform indexing at any given time (rather than wait for its own internal schedule).

If there is, I haven't been able to figure it out. In the Copernic Desktop Search (freeware) you can select which folders to index as well as when to index them. Copernic also indexes in the background.

Users of Windows 95 (or higher) can give Wilbur (GPL from Redtree) a try... it offers support for multiple indexes and it offers regex search capabilities, and it offers a choice of viewing the entire file of only the lines on which the search term appears, things which neither Google nor Copernic offer. Wilbur doesn't index in the background, though... you have to click to create or update the index file.

Shawn Green  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:03
Thai to English
+ ...
Boogle! Jun 8, 2005

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I can see you feel frustrated. For internet searches, try Boogle.com instead of Google. It is Google, but you get an inspiring or interesting quote and a nice picture. Might help relieve your frustrations!

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everybody Jun 8, 2005

I appreciate everybody's help. Until the problem is resolved, I will be using the new Windows Search from MS. At least it does not seem skip any files that is included in the defined folders.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Desktop Search fails to index a Word file

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs