Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:58
German to English
+ ...
Jun 29, 2005

Hi

I use Eudora 6.1 e-mail program.

As I am going on holiday, I wish any senders of e-mails to receive a message from me showing the dates that my home office is closed. I will be switching off my computer.

I tried to set up Eudora for this once before but it did not work. I contacted my Internet Service Provider and they say they do not provide such a service.

Any help much appreciated.

Robin

Direct link Reply with quote

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:58
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Forwarding Jun 29, 2005

Hi

If you are going to switch off your computer, I'm afraid you can't set up your email client to handle that task.

What type of email are you using? Is it from your own domain? Most emails - specially if you have your own domain - allow you to set an autoresponder. If your email provider can not do this, you could ask them if there is any forwarding capability available? If so, you can "forward" all your incoming email to another account (Like Gmail, Yahoo or MSN which may have autoresponder option, I'm not sure, you have to check) and set an autoresponder there.

Regards,

Rahi

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:58
English to German
Closed loop Jun 29, 2005

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

If so, you can "forward" all your incoming email to another account (Like Gmail, Yahoo or MSN which may have autoresponder option, I'm not sure, you have to check) and set an autoresponder there.

Regards,

Rahi

I'm afraid this will result in an endless loop:
The forwarder gets an auto-response, forwards it back to the responder, which then sends an auto-response back, and so on...

Anyway, the sender of the original mail will never be notified using this approach.

You really need to set-up the auto-response at the server side, otherwise there's no way, I'm afraid.

Regards,
Stefan

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
Send notification to your regular clients Jun 29, 2005

If, as it appears, that your ISP doesn't provide autoresponder service, try sending an "office closed" message to your regular (and even sporadic clients) before you go away. I've found it to be effective in most cases.

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
French to English
Notify in advance Jun 29, 2005

If you plan on switching your computer off and your ISP doesn't offer an autoresponder service, then you can't send any auto responses.

There are autoresponder programs that exist, but you will have to leave your computer on. The downside is that it will probably respond to all the spam you receive. I tried a program like that once and I didn't see any real benefit because I received maybe a couple of enquiries while I was gone.

The only solution is to inform your clients ahead of time of your vacation dates and post them on your ProZ profile and any other profile you have online as well.

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Now that you say... Jun 29, 2005

I've done this once before but now you made me think. I remember that once I did this (for test), all my emails were forwarded to a temporary address but the forwarded emails didn't appear to be forwarded in a traditional sense - having a new sender in the header- then the temporary account could actually respond automatically to the original sender. I have to check this again.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:58
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Been there, done that Jun 29, 2005

Had the same experience with auto receipt acknowledgment. And so my and clients computer proceeded to exchange countless acknowledgments of receiving each other's acknowledgment.
Since then receipt acknowledgment is arranged to be sent by our ISP, they have some means to cut of that loop

Uldis

Stefan Keller wrote:
I'm afraid this will result in an endless loop:
The forwarder gets an auto-response, forwards it back to the responder, which then sends an auto-response back, and so on...

[Edited at 2005-06-30 12:05]

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
German to English
+ ...
They will forgive you Jun 29, 2005

Chill out.

Just mail yourself about your absence dates and bcc all your regulars.

I did this in my first year. Checked my mail while away and got panic attacks because there were few enquiries!

Got back and the orders started rolling in on day one.

Regular clients like to be told when you are away: it saves them time and inconvenience in trying to track you down.

You can always add "if you want to contact me about projects that will start after (your return date) then feel free to call me on my mobile".

Mail looping won't help.

HTH and enjoy your break. I'm having one next week.

Rgds
Chris

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:58
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice Jul 10, 2005

I have just come back from holiday in warm Queensland to cold Western Australia and so I am "chilling out" now I am back! Still recovering from "numbbum" after the 6-hour flight home. It was a great holiday, though.

I contacted my regular customers before I went (two of them still forgot I had told them and I forgot one myself).

You sure need breaks in this job, so enjoy one asap, guys!

Robin

Textklick wrote:

Chill out.

Just mail yourself about your absence dates and bcc all your regulars.

I did this in my first year. Checked my mail while away and got panic attacks because there were few enquiries!

Got back and the orders started rolling in on day one.

Regular clients like to be told when you are away: it saves them time and inconvenience in trying to track you down.

You can always add "if you want to contact me about projects that will start after (your return date) then feel free to call me on my mobile".

Mail looping won't help.

HTH and enjoy your break. I'm having one next week.

Rgds
Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Leaving "office closed" notificaton for e-mails

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs