Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:56
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jun 30, 2005

I remember seeing several posts on useful software (free) that counts time you spend on a job when you charge an hourly rate. Unfortunately all my searches have proved fruitless - probably wrong keywords. Could anybody point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,
Burrell

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:56
Polish to English
+ ...
what sort of job do you mean? Jun 30, 2005

1. if you translate in Word, open the file and just click: File-Properties-Statistics. Word will show you the accumulated time (minutes) you spent editing this file since it was created.
The same for Excel, Power Point and probably for other software from other manufacturers (not sure at the moment).
2. if a consecutive/simultaneous translation, just a simple watch on your wrist should do. Or a chronograph.

Or I don't catch your point?
Regards
Andrzej Mierzejewski

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
XNote Stopwatch is ok Jun 30, 2005

I am using XNote Stopwatch. It is simple, can be configured as you like it, and works fine.

However I would like to find one that can be configured to have it stop automatically if I am not at the computer for longer than a set time.

The author of XNote told me that it should be possible to have the counter stop when the computer goes in stand by, but for some reason this feature does not work on my Toshiba Satellite.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time counter Jun 30, 2005

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

1. if you translate in Word, open the file and just click: File-Properties-Statistics. Word will show you the accumulated time (minutes) you spent editing this file since it was created.
The same for Excel, Power Point and probably for other software from other manufacturers (not sure at the moment).
2. if a consecutive/simultaneous translation, just a simple watch on your wrist should do. Or a chronograph.

Or I don't catch your point?
Regards
Andrzej Mierzejewski

I am editing a word file but have a 3 year old running around so I need a programme that I could stop when I rush to the rescue and then start again when I am ready to resume the work.

Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
software Jun 30, 2005

Hi, I posted the same topic several months ago:

http://www.proz.com/topic/29831

The best one was timestamp, had everything I needed and was very easy to operate.

Piotr

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Beware of kids! Jun 30, 2005

Burrell wrote:
I am editing a word file but have a 3 year old running around so I need a programme that I could stop when I rush to the rescue and then start again when I am ready to resume the work.

A kid around your computer. All is clear.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Cratchit TimeTool Jun 30, 2005

See

http://www.cratchit.org/

Go to Downloads->Timetool for Windows

I use it frequently. You can create several items (such as Proofreading, Rescue Mission or Coffee break... just joking ) that are activated by simply clicking on them. Make sure to hit "Save" before closing the application, otherwise all your records might be gone.

HTH.

Sonja

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time counter Jun 30, 2005

Thanks everybody, I will try them out.

Rgds,
Burrell

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:56
English to Latvian
+ ...
Just what I needed Jul 6, 2005

Was going to post the same question:),my case is different though -no kids, just an ill & crazy cat to watch, thanks everyone

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time counter

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs