Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
German ö,ä,ü and special characters not displayed on ProZ
Thread poster: sorchio
sorchio
Germany
Local time: 05:27
English to German
Jul 3, 2005

Two days ago I replaced the Internet Explorer with Mozilla Firefox and since then the ProZ.com website doesn't display the German ä,ö,ü and pretty much all the special characters in one way or another. Mostly they are replaced by a question mark which is highly irritating.

That said, I seem to remember that this happened in the IE on occasion, too. However, I've never seen it on any other website but ProZ.com (same now with Mozilla - the problem only occurs here on proz)

Hopefully, somebody has an idea. Thanks in advance:

Rebecca

Direct link Reply with quote

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Partial member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Same thing happens to me... Jul 3, 2005

sorchio wrote:

Two days ago I replaced the Internet Explorer with Mozilla Firefox and since then the ProZ.com website doesn't display the German ä,ö,ü and pretty much all the special characters in one way or another. Mostly they are replaced by a question mark which is highly irritating.

That said, I seem to remember that this happened in the IE on occasion, too. However, I've never seen it on any other website but ProZ.com (same now with Mozilla - the problem only occurs here on proz)

Hopefully, somebody has an idea. Thanks in advance:

Rebecca

... with Firefox, too. It's indeed very irritating.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No problems here Jul 3, 2005

Hi,

I have been using FireFox for a long time now, but I have never had any display problem.

The enconding should be set on Western (ISO-8859-1) and Auto-Detect Off. [ Main menu dropdown View > Character Enconding > ]

Which encoding are you using?

Giuliana

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
German to English
+ ...
Unicode/Western Jul 3, 2005

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:
The enconding should be set on Western (ISO-8859-1) and Auto-Detect Off.

I can see the ö,ä and ü properly on this post if I select Unicode (UTF-8).

To see the Ü of Übersetzungsfehler properly in the previous forum topic I need to select Western (ISO-8859-1).

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Doesn't depend on the browser Jul 3, 2005

I use Firefox and find the same as Robert. I tried it in Internet Explorer too, and the result is the same, you have to set the encoding of this page to Unicode UTF-8 to see the characters properly.

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
ö,ä,ü (here garble for me with Unicaode, not with Western ISO) Jul 3, 2005

Hi Robert,

If I use Unicode I can't read in the German forum or German characters, except this thread

With Western ISO-8859-1 I see ö,ä,ü as garbled text in this thread only, so Western ISO-8859-1 seems to be the correct encoding..

Giuliana

sorchio
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
it worked out for me - after some trying Jul 3, 2005

Hi,

I have been using FireFox for a long time now, but I have never had any display problem.

The enconding should be set on Western (ISO-8859-1) and Auto-Detect Off. [ Main menu dropdown View > Character Enconding > ]

Which encoding are you using?

Giuliana

Thank you Giuliana, you've enlightened me

It took some trying but I figured it out. At first, the closest I came to checking the encoding was via "Page Info" in "Tools". That said I had Unicode selected. I checked with a different website and it had ISO-8859-1 selected.

Then I found "Character Encoding" in "View" and this is what I had to do:

When I simply selected "Western ISO-8859-1" it wouldn't work. I had to select "Auto-Detect -> Universal" _and_ "More -> West European -> ISO-8859-1". However, when I then checked "Character Encoding" I found that I *still* had selected Unicode but could now see the ä,ö,ü etc. properly. When I changed to Western (ISO-8859-1) in "Character Encoding" I was back to where I started with my letters replaced by some cryptic signs.

Bottomline for me: "Character Encoding -> More -> West European -> ISO-8859-1" + "Character Encoding -> Auto-Detect -> Universal" and don't bother with what it shows in "Character Encoding"

Is that how it works for you?

Anyway, thanks again!

Rebecca

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Usually depends on script Jul 3, 2005

With Western ISO-8859-1 I see ö,ä,ü as garbled text in this thread only, so Western ISO-8859-1 seems to be the correct encoding..

Giuliana

Some web sites state the encoding they use in the HTML head. ProZ doesn't.

Western ISO-8859-1 is usually the correct setting for languages written in Roman script on ProZ.

For Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese and so on one needs to select a different encoding.

Many people would like to see Unicode work throughout ProZ.

http://www.proz.com/post/226593#226593

AngloLink
German to English
+ ...
I can't see the German characters either Jul 3, 2005

I don't use Firefox - I use both AOL and Blueyonder and have the same problem with both - it is highly irritating. I use Windows XP. Can anyone help? What does it mean to select Unicode....? I didn't even know that existed as an option - where would I look? Thanks.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:27
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No problem in the German forum Jul 4, 2005

I use Firefox too. In your postings the special charackters are junk, but in the German forum everything is ok.
Schöne Grüße!
I have Western font checked.
Regards
Heinrich

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Actually, no, View > Character Encoding - Western ISO... Jul 4, 2005

Hi Rebecca,

Bottomline for me: "Character Encoding -> More -> West European -> ISO-8859-1" + "Character Encoding -> Auto-Detect -> Universal" and don't bother with what it shows in "Character Encoding"

Wow, pretty complicated.. no, I click on View > Charact Encoding and on the side dropdown I have "Auto Dectect" [following it, the setting is (Off), i.e. a China blue bullet point next to (Off)], "More Encondings", "Customize List" and then a few encodings, the first being Western ISO-8859-1. As it is my active encoding, it shows a China blue bullet point. I think this might be so, because I have added this set in the *Options...* (dropdown menu *Tools*) and used the option Customize List, adding Western ISO..

BTW, it is clear that for displaying other languages with different characters another encoding has to be chosen, but here we were talking about German characters. Switching between encodings is pretty straight in FireFox...

Giuliana

sorchio
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
upon looking today I had to do it again ... Jul 4, 2005

Hi Rebecca,

Wow, pretty complicated.. no, I click on View > Charact Encoding and on the side dropdown I have "Auto Dectect" [following it, the setting is (Off), i.e. a China blue bullet point next to (Off)], "More Encondings", "Customize List" and then a few encodings, the first being Western ISO-8859-1. As it is my active encoding, it shows a China blue bullet point. I think this might be so, because I have added this set in the *Options...* (dropdown menu *Tools*) and used the option Customize List, adding Western ISO..

BTW, it is clear that for displaying other languages with different characters another encoding has to be chosen, but here we were talking about German characters. Switching between encodings is pretty straight in FireFox...

Giuliana

That's odd (and interesting as well) because it still doesn't seem to work the easy way for me. When I just checked this thread I found that I again I couldn't see ä,ö,ü etc. and in "Character Encoding" I had Western (ISO-8859-1) checked (as you described, with a bullet). I had to follow the same procedure as described above in order to see the special signs properly again.

Now I wonder, though, do I have to do it _every_ time I open a window to look at something on ProZ? ...

Rebecca

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
This page Jul 4, 2005

What would be interesting to know is how this page has become UTF-8 encoded.

When one makes a post, can the JavaScript detect the Browser setting, i.e. is the encoding of the page determined by the browser setting of the poster?

But if that is the case what happens when a post is made in two or more different languages requiring different browser settings to read each language?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:27
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
This page is encoded correctly Jul 4, 2005

The fault may be in the way you try to write special characters. äöü and ÄÖÜ and also ß and åÅ are displayed correctly when I write them.
Regards
Heinrich

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Western Jul 4, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The fault may be in the way you try to write special characters. äöü and ÄÖÜ and also ß and åÅ are displayed correctly when I write them.

Possibly this indicates that the browser encoding setting of the poster is detected and transmitted.

My current encoding is Western (ISO-8859-1)

ä, Ä, ö, Ö, ü, Ü, ß, å, Å

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German ö,ä,ü and special characters not displayed on ProZ

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs