Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 07:17
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 17, 2005

Could someone tell me the step by step procedure of creating a wav sound file as I need to record pronounciation. Currently, I use the sound recording system which automatically comes with Windows but I intend to learn creating wav sound files. Do I need some special software for the same? Whether it can be downloaded from some site?

I'd appreciate if someone could explain about it in details.

Thanks in anticipation.

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:47
English to German
+ ...
Software comes with the sound card Jul 17, 2005

As far as I know, the required software comes with every (separate) sound card.
On my PC it's from Creative Technology Ltd. for the Soundblaster card. There are various sub-programs. The one to record and edit *.wav files is called "Creative WaveStudio".
I use it a lot to edit live recordings of our vocal group made on a Minidisk. Anything that enters the sound card via "Line in" or "Mic" is recorded as a *.wav file.
In your case it will probably be the "Mic" input, e.g. from a
... See more
As far as I know, the required software comes with every (separate) sound card.
On my PC it's from Creative Technology Ltd. for the Soundblaster card. There are various sub-programs. The one to record and edit *.wav files is called "Creative WaveStudio".
I use it a lot to edit live recordings of our vocal group made on a Minidisk. Anything that enters the sound card via "Line in" or "Mic" is recorded as a *.wav file.
In your case it will probably be the "Mic" input, e.g. from a headset.
The editing options are numerous, but easy to understand.

HTH, and have fun

John
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:47
English to Polish
+ ...
I use Audacity Jul 17, 2005

It is free, sufficient for me amd allows me do use basic effects.

http://audacity.sf.net/

For more advanced tasks try GoldWave.

http://www.goldwave.com/

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:47
You can already create WAV files Jul 17, 2005

You can record WAV files with any number of different software programs, which vary widely in terms of the quality and features they provide. As mentioned by other posters, there are a number of free programs you can download if you don't need sophisticated professional studio features. (Of course the sound quality of the recording will mostly depend on the microphone and sound card you use.)

If all you want is a simple WAV file, you actually don't need to look further than the the
... See more
You can record WAV files with any number of different software programs, which vary widely in terms of the quality and features they provide. As mentioned by other posters, there are a number of free programs you can download if you don't need sophisticated professional studio features. (Of course the sound quality of the recording will mostly depend on the microphone and sound card you use.)

If all you want is a simple WAV file, you actually don't need to look further than the the Windows Sound Recorder you mentioned (which you already have):

- To get the best sound quality, select File / Properties / Convert now, select CD quality in the Name menu, click OK.
- To record, click the Record button, talk into the mic, click the Stop button when you're done.
- Then go to the File menu and select Save or Save as, select the directory where you want to save your recording, enter a file name, and click Save. WAV is the only format this program will save.

Voilà!

If you're not happy with the quality you may try a better program, but more importantly you may need a better mic and/or soundcard.

[Edited at 2005-07-17 13:18]
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 17, 2005

Thanks to all of you for your valuable help and suggestions.

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
English to Assamese
+ ...
A suggestion. Jul 18, 2005

langclinic wrote:

Could someone tell me the step by step procedure of creating a wav sound file as I need to record pronounciation.

The windows sound recorder creates only wav files. But wav files take up a lot of space. Since you are not recording music, I suggest you should go for the mp3 format. All my chinese lesson files are recorded in mp3 format. For this purpose you would require a converter. The editor that is bundled with Nero Burning Rom is great. It is a very neat sound editor where you can record in any sound format. Further still you can improve the sound quality a great deal. Ofcourse the quality of the sound card is important. But at this stage you need not buy another sound card. The one that you are having with you will do just fine. There are lot of other editors/mp3 converters in the market. Lookup www.download.com.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating wav sound files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »