Winzip - is it worth having?
Thread poster: Angel_7

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
French to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2005

Does anyone have any idea how useful this is to translators (I am just starting) and how easy or difficult it is to use? I am unsure whether to invest in it at the moment or if it is something that can wait.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-07-19 12:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:55
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jul 19, 2005

...to General tech support.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Isn't it freeware or shareware? Jul 19, 2005

Sarah390 wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how useful this is to translators (I am just starting) and how easy or difficult it is to use? I am unsure whether to invest in it at the moment or if it is something that can wait.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-07-19 12:54]

Hi Sarah,

It is extremely useful when your clients send you zipped files, (and for you to send them zipped files), and it is very easy to use. I have had it for a long time, and I do not remember paying anything for it. I think you can download it for free, but I do not remember from where. Let's see what other colleagues have to say.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Useful, but not free Jul 19, 2005

I just checked the WinZip site - www.winzip.com - and they offer it on free trial for 21 days, after which you have to pay for it, but it's only US$29. There are also free zip utilities available - try typing "zip unzip free" into Google and you will find some - but I have no idea how good they are.
There is another quite well-known one called PKZip, which is free if you only want to unzip with it.
I have had WinZip for several years and have found it useful, but perhaps less so than it was. Now most people have what would once have been considered fantastically large-capacity hard disks, and broadband for sending big files quickly, more files are being sent as they stand without zipping them. Still, I think it's worth havibg - if not WinZip itself, at least one of the others.

[Edited at 2005-07-31 18:59]

xxxsarahl
Local time: 09:55
English to French
+ ...
Stuffit Jul 19, 2005

is a good alternative. It is free and easier to use.

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good idea Jul 19, 2005

Hi Sarah,
The good thing about WinZip of any of these programmes is that you can use them to compress a file/series of files so that you only need to send a much smaller file. It is free to download and has a 21 day free evaluation period although you can continue to use it after that time. It is particularly useful for large projects (web sites, etc.) and it is a good idea to learn how to use one of these programmes so that you are ready if you ever need to open a zip file.
Best wishes,
SArah.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
(Un)zipping tool Jul 19, 2005

You don't need specifically WinZip, but you do need an archiving tool, because files are usually sent zipped by e-mail. There are many free alternatives to WinZip with very similar features. I just can't recommend any - perhaps somebody else will.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:55
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
7-Zip Jul 19, 2005

I use 7-Zip. It is compatible with many extensions, including .zip and .rar. You can compress and decompress files. It also has a number of features. And it's free.

The main features of 7-Zip:

High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL
Supported formats: 7z, ZIP, CAB, RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, Z, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB
For ZIP and GZIP formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
Self-extracting capability for 7z format
Integration with Windows Shell
Powerful File Manager
Powerful command line version
Plugin for FAR Manager
Localizations for 57 languages

http://www.7-zip.org/

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
IZarc Jul 19, 2005

Freeware.
AFAIK handles all compression formats (both ways - compress and decompress), including RAR, which Winzip does not handle.

RAR is also shareware - expires after some time. Winzip only has a nag screen.

I've been using IZarc for about 6 months now and am satisfied.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

p.s. to answer the other questions...

It is definitely worth having. If you have a wide band internet connection, the size of the email doesn't really matter, but sometimes, if you have, say 30 attachments to send to someone, it is much nicer to send them as a nice zip package.

The software (all of the ones listed above) is very easy to use. For the most part, you merely right-click on a file (or CTRL+ right click on several files) and just pick the appropriate option - zip, zip and e-mail etc. You don't even have to run the program as such.

Pawel

[Edited at 2005-07-19 14:30]

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Zipping with Outlook Express Jul 19, 2005

As regards Winzip I just noticed that you can buy Winzip software for Outlook, not Outlook Express. You can also just buy a separate Winzip thing which doesn't claim it is for email (if you look at www.winzip.com). Is it possible to buy the ordinary Winzip to compress files and then send these using Outlook Express? Most people do not have Outlook Express and I am wondering how many other disadvantages it may have - it came with the computer - but I may have to buy Outlook. I am concerned that I may not be able to receive Winzip files with Outlook Express.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Perhaps, or use WinRAR instead Jul 19, 2005

Sarah390 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea how useful WinZip is to translators (I am just starting) and how easy or difficult it is to use? I am unsure whether to invest in it at the moment or if it is something that can wait.

Most modern operating systems can read and write zip files without the need for special software like WinZip, but if you want to pay for a zip program, why not consider WinRAR instead? It has many time-saving features. If you don't want to use your OS's zip utility and you don't want to pay money, you can try any of the dozens of freeware and open source zip programs. I can recommend both Tugzip and 7-zip.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Comments on 7-Zip features Jul 19, 2005

Allow me to comment on the features of 7-Zip, in case you find all the technical information baffling:

Caliaa wrote:

Most clients will use a "standard" zip format and "ordinary" zip programs, which means they won't send you 7z files and they won't be able to open your files if they're in 7z format.

7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL

Unlike WinZip, which is shareware (you try it out and if you like it, you pay for it, and if you don't like it, then you stop using it). WinZip will continue working after the "expiry date", but using it after that date is technically speaking illegal.

Supported formats: 7z, ZIP, CAB, RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, Z, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB

The only formats in this list that I've ever come across in real life is ZIP, RAR, GZIP and TAR. The other formats usually do not require unzipping by the user.

For ZIP and GZIP formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip

This is only useful if you're working with very, very big files (several megabytes large).

Self-extracting capability for 7z format

In other words, you can use the 7z format and turn the zipped file into an .exe file which can be opened by a client who doesn't have 7-Zip installed on his computer. The only snag is that most firewalls nowadays automatically reject attachments in .exe format.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No integration with OExpress required Jul 19, 2005

Sarah390 wrote:
Is it possible to buy the ordinary Winzip to compress files and then send these using Outlook Express?

Of course. WinZip is simply a program which creates zip files. The Outlook-version of WinZip won't create files which is different from the files created by any other zip program. I suspect the Outlook-version is simply a version which is integrated with Outlook to make it slightly easier to send and receive zip files. It does not create a different type of file.

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Independent of Outlook Jul 19, 2005

WinZip is a programme which is independent of Outlook, Outlook Express, etc. You use it to compress several files into a single file with the extension .zip which you can then attach to any message in any mail programme or server (e.g. hotmail).

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:55
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Question Jul 19, 2005

Caliaa wrote:

Most clients will use a "standard" zip format and "ordinary" zip programs, which means they won't send you 7z files and they won't be able to open your files if they're in 7z format.

Samuel,

What about a zip file created with 7z? Will somebody without 7z be able to open this file?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winzip - is it worth having?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs