Mobile menu

Does my IP address show in my visitor's page?
Thread poster: Momoka
Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:31
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 23, 2005

I'd like to know where in my profile (or anywhere else) can I find my IP address (am I blind?); I'm also curious about whether it shows when I visit my own profile page.
TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 01:31
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
One way to find out your own IP address Jul 23, 2005

Hello,

I am not sure if you can find it on your profile page, but there is at least one way of determining your IP address.

If you use Windows, open the Start menu, then open Programs, then open Accessories, then choose the item with the C prompt (little black screen).

In the DOS-like window that appears, type "ipconfig".
This should bring up your own IP address.

good luck,
Csaba

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:31
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
local vs global IP addresses Jul 23, 2005

Csaba Ban wrote:

Hello,

I am not sure if you can find it on your profile page, but there is at least one way of determining your IP address.

If you use Windows, open the Start menu, then open Programs, then open Accessories, then choose the item with the C prompt (little black screen).

In the DOS-like window that appears, type "ipconfig".
This should bring up your own IP address.

good luck,
Csaba

In most cases, this approach will indicate your local IP address, not the address as it appears to web sites you log on to. Try this site:
http://www.showmyip.com/
it tells you just about everything about you that a web site is able to capture.

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
Your IP is not shown Jul 23, 2005

in visitors page. That is to say, your own visits to your profile page are not counted.

On the other hand, you can check your IP easily. Just open your browser, type "whatismyip.com"

It instantly shows your ip regardless of its being static or dynamic.

HTH

[Edited at 2005-07-23 15:53]

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Jul 24, 2005

Thanks Csaba, kimjasper and Selcuk. I tried all your suggestions and got...three different IP addresses. No problem with that, for my main concern is/was a visitor coming to my profile page quite often, without too many potential clients getting in touch. That's why I thought it could be myself, since I check my visitor's page everyday, two or three times sometimes. If it's Proz.com staff doing its job that's just fine; I'm not going to interfere. Was just curious.
Cheers!

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
Static vs Dynamic IP Jul 25, 2005

Momoka wrote:

Thanks Csaba, kimjasper and Selcuk. I tried all your suggestions and got...three different IP addresses.

IPs can be static or dynamic. A "static ip" is like a phone number, i.e., it does not change when you disconnect and re-connect to your ISP, since your ISP dedicates a fixed IP number to you. For example, my IP is static and is the same for years.

On the other hand, an IP can be dynamic, which means that when you disconnect and re-connect to your ISP, your IP changes. It is like a temporary phone number. When you connect, your ISP allocates you any address (number) available at that moment, and when you disconnect, the address (IP number) allocated to you returns to the pool of available IPs.

That is probably why when you see different IPs.

...my main concern is/was a visitor coming to my profile page quite often, without too many potential clients getting in touch. That's why I thought it could be myself, since I check my visitor's page everyday.

As I said before, your own visits to your profile page are not counted in visitor statistics.

Wish you many visitors with actual assignments.

[Edited at 2005-07-25 00:50]

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About IPs! Jul 25, 2005

Thank you, Selcuk, for taking the time to explain; it's really good to know how these things work. Now I can understand what the data in visitor's page really means. Thanks again!

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 19:31
English
Explanation for two of the three IPs Jul 25, 2005

Momoka wrote:

I tried all your suggestions and got...three different IP addresses.

If you are behind a router, that will explain two of them. The router is issued one by your ISP, and that's the IP the world sees your home as (if you are at home). The router then issues other IPs to the computers, usually appearing as 192.168.1.xxx.

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 26, 2005

Thanks for the information, tlmurray!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does my IP address show in my visitor's page?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs